A Few Suggestions ....

Moderator: Rex Claussen

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

A Few Suggestions ....

Post by Rex Claussen »

1. As the plan is to package both Paranoid and Paranoiac into a single game experience, I wanted to propose something that I hope is workable. How about creating a seamless experience between the two games? In other words, at the end of Map07 the transport helicopter picks up Bellmer and carries him away. The game does NOT cut to the credits; instead it essentially plays the TITLEMAP of Paranoiac, but in a dummy map as a cut scene. [I'd propose inserting it into MAP10, but MAP10 already occupies a significant part of the editable map canvas.] The scripting for the helicopter flight should be set up so that the player can skip the cut scene and go right to the start of MAP10.

In this way, the entire progression is seen to be part of a single adventure. The credits can come up at the end of MAP21, as they do in Paranoiac.

2. Also, let's not forget my suggestion in this post. We should figure out a way to ensure that only one message can be played at a time.

3. Additionally, can the messages be set up to be either paused, or stopped, once they have been activated? As they are currently set up, the player must listen to the entire message before the audio and text end. This might being a distraction under some circumstances.

4. The background music track should be added to the Paranoid maps (and Paranoia maps, if they get added).

5. Edit the Paranoid maps to include the new weapons in Paranoiac. This, of course, would mean adjusting the gameplay of Paranoid.

6. Edit the Paranoid maps to reduce the overuse of human grunts (hitscanners) in large, open areas.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: A Few Suggestions ....

Post by Enjay »

Sounds like a good idea to me. I suggest that it would still make sense for the player to choose to only play from the start of Paranoiac if they want to (i.e. use an episode menu to allow them to start at the Osprey flying cutscene map).
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Enjay wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 20:36Sounds like a good idea to me. I suggest that it would still make sense for the player to choose to only play from the start of Paranoiac if they want to (i.e. use an episode menu to allow them to start at the Osprey flying cutscene map).
Agreed. The current Episode Menu will still be in effect; as you indicated, selecting the Extraction option will simply take them to the start of the helicopter flight cut scene.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

You could just create a new map specifically for the cutscene - something similar has already been done for the random selection of the Titlemap (the game can now possibly start from two titlemaps - I've proposed using a CVar to track which mapset the player was in last, or whether they completed Paranoid, to track whether to initiate the Paranoic-specific one).
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Rachael wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 22:11You could just create a new map specifically for the cutscene...
Yes, I was proposing that, rather than using an existing map. Map24 is the first slot currently available, so it can go there.
.... something similar has already been done for the random selection of the Titlemap (the game can now possibly start from two titlemaps...
I presume you are referring to the Gold WIP? If so, is there a strong reason to set it up as a cutscene? More specifically, can it be set up so that it starts as a TITLEMAP if the player selects the Extraction Episode, or starts as a cutscene if the player completes Map07 and continues the game?

I know that setting it up as a cutscene will serve the desired purpose regardless of whether the player begins the game at the Extraction Episode, or continues from MAP07. I am just asking if there is a better way to set it up.
.... I've proposed using a CVar to track which mapset the player was in last, or whether they completed Paranoid, to track whether to initiate the Paranoic-specific one).
OK, I think I understand what you are proposing, and it seems to answer the question I had above.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Well the chopper flight (paranoic intro) can be set up as a cutscene, yes, but I would propose duplicating the existing TITLEMAP for that if you want to do it as a cinematic and still keep it as one of the available TITLEMAPS in case a player saves+exits a game and comes back to it later.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

OK, thanks. As no new mapping is required, I'll leave it up to you regarding how it ought to be set up.

Return to “Parallax”