IPK3: Some Considerations

Moderator: Rex Claussen

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

IPK3: Some Considerations

Post by Rex Claussen »

Ed, you indicated that you were developing the game as a stand-alone IPK3. I haven't taken a look at the current incarnation of the game, but I wanted to point out a couple of things to keep in mind:

1. Throughout the maps I have used stock DooM textures that are visible in-game in some instances. The most common ones are GRAY5, LITE3 & LITE5, METAL & METAL2, SHAWN2, SILVER1, STONE, CEIL5_1, CEIL5_2, FLAT1, FLAT19, FLAT23, FLAT5_4, FLOOR1_6, SLIME14/15. Granted, that the use of these textures is not obvious in-game, but the removal of stock DooM resources could highlight the missing textures. The most obvious use is on the red railings throughout the maps, where FLOOR1_6 is used for the top & bottom surfaces of the railings.
2. Throughout the maps I have used stock DooM textures that are NOT visible in-game, but are present nonetheless. This is typically where I've set up control sectors for 3D constructs, and the "unused" sidedefs of the control sectors have the default texture of STARTAN2.
3. Item 2 also applies to linedefs with the Line_Horizon special.
4. Slopes that are set up with linedef specials (as opposed to slope things) are typically set up using a stock DooM texture. The texture is not visible (when the slope is set up to be seamless with the surrounding sectors), but is present nonetheless.

I'm guessing you've already addressed these issues, but I wanted to be sure you're aware of them.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: IPK3: Some Considerations

Post by Enjay »

If they haven't been addressed yet, do you know if the FreeDoom alternatives would be OK in places where the textures are actually visible?
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Enjay wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 18:08If they haven't been addressed yet, do you know if the FreeDoom alternatives would be OK in places where the textures are actually visible?
It's been a while since I looked at FreeDooM, so I can't say off the top of my head. However, I vaguely recall that FreeDooM's graphic resources somewhat mirror those of DooM.

In our case, I'd guess that the best way to fix the issue is to replace only the stock DooM graphic resources actually used in the game with equivalent replacements. For example, the widely-used FLOOR1_6 can be replaced with a similarly-hued red texture (it doesn't even have to be textured in the same way as the original). STARTAN2 can be replaced with any texture, as it is never intended to be seen in-game. The GRAY5 might actually be visible in-game; again, it can be replaced with any similar gray texture. And so on.

If FreeDooM offers suitable replacements, we can copy them into our game, and give credit. This will obviate the need for searching elsewhere for matching textures.
Ed the Bat
Developer
Developer

Post by Ed the Bat »

You are correct, Rex. I noticed these textures and have long since replaced them with the closest matches from FreeDooM. I feel the end result is completely satisfactory.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

All's well then. Thanks.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

I'm reviving this thread to point out one additional subset of textures that are used occasionally in the maps. These are the wood textures/flats that are typically used for the benches in the locker rooms. Unfortunately, there don't appear to be suitable wood textures in Half-Life that will serve as adequate substitutes. I can try to dig up some replacement texture/flats.

Meanwhile, I have been trying to systematically change textures and flats in control sectors to those in Paranoid/Paranoiac. I'm sure I'm missing a few, but if Ed is replacing the stock textures with custom ones, these "errors" will be papered over.
Ed the Bat
Developer
Developer

Post by Ed the Bat »

Any Doom textures we still need to replace can very likely be replaced with something from Freedom, like I've done with the others I saw. So I don't think we need to worry.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Ed! Welcome back. I hope you've been doing well. Or, at least, as well as can be expected given the global circumstances.

As for the wood textures, I'm glad to know that you've got things in hand.

You might have seen my other thread on maps I'm creating using DooM weapons. These, of course, can't be included in the IPK3 as intended. I will need to create a separate version of those maps with Half-Life weapons. But that's a task for later.
Ed the Bat
Developer
Developer

Post by Ed the Bat »

Thanks for the kind words. I'm still in about the same situation I was last time... Including that I feel bad for not having been productive and do want to *someday* return to work on this stuff. I'll be sure to read up on the other threads too, in case I have any thoughts or need to take anything into consideration on my end.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Rex Claussen wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 15:21 Meanwhile, I have been trying to systematically change textures and flats in control sectors to those in Paranoid/Paranoiac..... wood textures/flats .... benches
I feel foolish saying this, but my semi-compulsive nature won't let me rest. I have been going back into MAPs 24-28 and changing the stock DooM textures, including replacing the wood textures with "plastic" ones. Please, please, talk me out of this colossal time-wasting activity.....
I'm sure I'm missing a few, but if Ed is replacing the stock textures with custom ones, these "errors" will be papered over.
..... particularly as all the work has already been done by Ed.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Rex Claussen wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 16:36 Please, please, talk me out of this colossal time-wasting activity.....
Nope, not gonna do that. It's exactly the kind of thing that I end up losing myself in for pointless hours too. I'm the wrong person to talk you out of it. ;)

It'll be worth it in the end. :D
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Enjay wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 20:26 It'll be worth it in the end. :D
In what way, exactly? Ed has already replaced the "offending" textures. Still, I believe I understand what you mean.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Nothing Earth shattering. Simply that you will be happier that you have done a "complete" job and not have a few hidden "problems" that aren't really a problems at all, but you know that they are there.

At least, that's the kind of thing that bugs me (but only in my own work - and not just Doom stuff either). I waste far too much of my life effectively inventing, and then sorting out, "problems" like that.

Return to “Parallax”