3d floor question.

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

3d floor question.

Post by solarsnowfall »

By using linetype 160 (tag, 3, 2, 0) you can easily create lighting gradients by stacking (er, making a series of control) sectors. Now, IIRC sloped 3d floors are something that doesn't work ATM, but my question is, will there be a chance of this being possible?

Where the area shaded red in (in PhotoShop) would be as bright as the floor via sloped controll sectors.

[edit]

This is what the structure looks like with opacity, if that helps illustrate my point.

If it were possible, that would just kick all kinds of ass, and offer a lot of creative options to lighting in wads.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I have to do a major rewrite of the wall rendering code. It's on my to-do list.

The problem with this is that it may necessitate non-trivial splits of the wall polygons. Right now I can just assume that each wall segment is represented by a quad and use that information to simplify some matters like decal rendering. But with diagonal splits that intersect with the floor or ceiling this would be no longer true.

You also have to be very careful with intersections. I have written all the 3D-floor code with the assumption that 3D-floors never intersect inside a sector because otherwise the code size would just explode. This means that you have to watch out yourself for such cases and handle them manually.
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

Thank you, and thank you.
BetaSword

Post by BetaSword »

Wait... So you're not supposed to make a 3D floor go into a solid floor/sector or anything (basically into void space), cause otherwise things get really bad? Or did I just misread that?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Basically, no. Having a solid 3D floor go below the real floor is not a problem in itself but the light transfer sure is. To handle it properly there'd be different lighting properties in different parts of the sector and that can't be done. Furthermore, handling intersecting 3D floors inside the game engine can create massive problems even though the rendering glitches will most likely be minor. That's because I sort the 3D-floors by height and if they intersect the order won't be the same everywhere.

I think this is something a mapper should take care of. I can't add sanity checks for everything to the 3D-floor code without slowing the game down too much
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Yeah, that's fair enough. I can't think of any cases where a good mapper would make these mistakes anyway.

:twisted:

Return to “GZDoom”