Brightmaps

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

DrVenom8

Brightmaps

Post by DrVenom8 »

Hi all! I'd like to offer my version of brightmaps for Doom and Doom 2 (Heretic and Hexen comming soon). I hope they are good enough to replace existing once.
Doom_Brightmaps_01.png
Doom_Brightmaps_01.png (112.05 KiB) Viewed 14535 times
BrightmapsDoom1.pk3
(315.15 KiB) Downloaded 1159 times
BrightmapsDoom2.pk3
(495.6 KiB) Downloaded 1387 times
DrVenom8

Re: Brightmaps

Post by DrVenom8 »

Doom_Brightmaps_05.png
Doom_Brightmaps_05.png (76.71 KiB) Viewed 14530 times
Doom_Brightmaps_06.png
Doom_Brightmaps_06.png (126.35 KiB) Viewed 14530 times
Doom_Brightmaps_13.png
Doom_Brightmaps_13.png (71 KiB) Viewed 14530 times
DrVenom8

Post by DrVenom8 »

Doom_Brightmaps_08.png
Doom_Brightmaps_08.png (118.38 KiB) Viewed 14530 times
Doom_Brightmaps_15.png
Doom_Brightmaps_15.png (116.03 KiB) Viewed 14530 times
Doom_Brightmaps_20.png
Doom_Brightmaps_20.png (143.43 KiB) Viewed 14530 times
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Very nice.

However, I wonder if the sergeant eyes wouldn't benefit from being a darker shade of red. Currently they appear a tad too bright. Also, in the last pic the Cacodemon eyes have a (correct) green hue, which changes to a bright yellow when they attack (pic 3, in your second set above). Perhaps the yellow needs to be less bright?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This is a nice add-on but I don't think it's suitable for addition to the 'official' set. I maybe take some monster brightmaps but for textures this is something that's better set up per mod instead of globally. The amount of levels where it'll look bad is not insignificant.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

I really like the look of the computer maze with them. The cacos are also delightfully spooky. But the sergeant and pinky screenshots are less convincing; maybe with a darker grey so the effect is more subtle...
Above

Post by Above »

Graf Zahl wrote:for textures this is something that's better set up per mod instead of globally. The amount of levels where it'll look bad is not insignificant.
what do u mean?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

What he means is, there's a lot of maps that will make these look bad. It's not the fault of the brightmaps, but rather the way the maps use the textures. Right off the top of my head, I know of a room on MAP27 directly in Doom 2 itself that will look bad with these - because Enjay's brightmaps didn't fare well with it either.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Map27 eh? Never liked that one anyway. :lol:

As a matter of interest, which room? (I'm going to guess the big one with that arrow shape made in the wall where you enter.)
Above

Post by Above »

Anyway i thought its not a big problem, i mean, the way the rest of levels look worths it)
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Feel free to use it. Brightmaps for textures won't make it into the official set though. The usage characteristics of textures are just too diverse to expect it to work in general.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Enjay wrote:Map27 eh? Never liked that one anyway. :lol:

As a matter of interest, which room? (I'm going to guess the big one with that arrow shape made in the wall where you enter.)
Actually, the one right next to it. The one where you push the switch and the floor goes down, you go through a door, and up the stairs. The light on the wall texture is kinda cut-off. Easy to ignore without the brightmaps, but with them on it looks like a huge texturing error.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Eruanna wrote:Actually, the one right next to it. The one where you push the switch and the floor goes down, you go through a door, and up the stairs. The light on the wall texture is kinda cut-off. Easy to ignore without the brightmaps, but with them on it looks like a huge texturing error.
Ah right, I see it. Yeah, bad texture placement (in the original WADs? surely not :lol: ) exaggerated by brightmaps right enough. :)
Above

Post by Above »

the worst is the last map of doom 2 :)
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Another note I've seen brought up: In amny places, light textures are used in a dark room where the lights change. Using brightmaps on those textures would break the illusion of lights going on/off.
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs

Return to “GZDoom”