I have a question regarding skies

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

L.K.

I have a question regarding skies

Post by L.K. »

Hello. I am attempting to create various structures that make use of the way sky textures are rendered, here is simple example of what I mean:

I was hoping I could use this effect on walls and pillars etc. I am aware of the vanilla method of drawing skies on walls (I am hoping I can avoid this method), and I know about the line horizon special, but that would still require I have a flat bounded with the wall that has the sky flat, and it would probably look odd with a lot of movement.

Is there a way I could use the sky effect the way I would use any other texture? For example what I am trying to do in the above screenshot, is have each one of those buildings painted over with different gradient textures that always follow the player's eyes.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: I have a question regarding skies

Post by Rachael »

It's a shame this topic has sat for 3 days with no response. That being said, the only ways that I know of are really hacky and will probably result in complaints from Graf so I won't even try. But if you're devilishly persistent on this, you can use a mix of transparent lines, F_SKY1, and Transfer_Heights, and possibly even portals. I can't really go into detail here because beyond this point it requires experimentation to see what works.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Unfortunately, I'm not really even sure that I understand the question. :oops:
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

Eruanna wrote:It's a shame this topic has sat for 3 days with no response.
Actually, this topic was posted at the ZDoom forums simultaneously, where it got a couple of replies. It seems L.K. (Kassman) here decided to just use the [wiki]Line_Horizon[/wiki] special with a small border.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I see... I'll just lock this one then since the other one seems to have more merit.

Return to “GZDoom”