Model different colour in different IWADs w/coloured lights

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Enjay
Developer
Developer

Model different colour in different IWADs w/coloured lights

Post by Enjay »

Any idea why this might be happening? The following screenshots are taken in the same map but running under different IWADs.

All textures, model skins etc are in PNG format and so the game palette should not affect them. The area in question is lit using coloured sector lighting and a dynamic light. The mid-texture-like structure is actually a model. When the game is run using any Doom IWAD (doom.wad, doom2.wad, tnt.wad, plutonia.wad), the model is coloured much as I expect it to be. However, in any other game that I have tried, the model looks a little bit off colour.

[spoiler]Doom - looks about right:

Heretic - model looks a bit yellowy

Hexen - much the same

Strife - again, much the same

Harmony

Even Strife with the Doom palette and colormap loaded in a PWAD

And Chex, which surprised me

HacX too

But FreeDoom was OK
Image[/spoiler]

So, anyone know why this is? I'm guessing that there is a configuration setting somewhere that handles this situation slightly differently when the game is in Doom mode. I'm just intrigued to find out what it might be.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: Model different colour in different IWADs w/coloured lig

Post by Graf Zahl »

Post the map, not some screenshots and I might tell you. As it is: no idea. My first guess would be some dynamic light source that's only present in Doom, but how can I verify?
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I thought that might be the case. I was a bit rushed when I posted last night and didn't have time to package things up so my post was a bit of a reminder to myself to do so today and a hope that there might be an "off the top of the head" answer where this was simply a known about situation.

Anyway, attached is a cut down version of the area in question. It still shows in the way I posted above - i.e. the model is coloured more blue in Doom than in the other supported games.

Attachments
testme.pk3
(63.11 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Hm, that's odd. Are you using different GZDoom versions for the various games?

It looks like the Doom picture for me with the latest GLEW_Version build and like the Heretic pic with the latest official version.
The GLEW_Version color is the correct one, of course, it seems there's a color clipping bug in the official version.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I get the same result with the Git build from 27 June and with 1.8.6 official. i.e. both EXE's display the map differently depending on the IWAD being used.

[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]

Git
[spoiler]Image

Image[/spoiler]
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Got it! I had a feeling that it was the result of a config option somewhere. I deleted my ini and found that Doom started looking like the other games. After working through the options, I eventually tracked it down to the sector lighting mode. Doom was set to use the software emulation mode, the other games were not.
Edward-san
Developer
Developer

Post by Edward-san »

Is it there a reason why the option should not be propagated through all the games?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's a per-game option and will stay that way. Users may prefer different settings for different games.

Return to “GZDoom”