Weird Behavior in GZDooM With Just One Model

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Weird Behavior in GZDooM With Just One Model

Post by Rex Claussen »

One of the models in Paranoid is behaving very oddly. Its z-offset is lower than it ought to be (see picture below). This causes it to sink into 3D floors. [It sits fine on regular floors.] What's odd is as follows:

1. The other models sit properly on the 3D floor; it's just the desk that sinks.
2. The desk model (and all other models) sat properly on 3D floors when Paranoid was released in 2010.

I haven't made any changes to the model, its DECORATE, or its GLDEFS. This makes me wonder if there's something inherent in the model that makes it not want to play nice with newer versions of GZDooM.

For those that may have a copy of Paranoid.pk3, and may be able to look into this, the model is named "Desk2" with a DooMED number of 30254. [Models Desk3 to Desk6 (DooMEd # 30255 to 30258) are the same models with different skins.]

Thanks.

[EDIT: I just tried something - I went to a 3D floor and summoned the desk actor. When it appeared it sat properly on the floor. Also, one other point that is probably relevant. The desk has an invisible 3D floor that corresponds to its top, so that other models (lamp, monitor) can sit "on" the desk. This may be causing the model to be pushed downward. But it still begs the question - why was it working fine in 2010, and is not working now?]

[Second Edit: I played around in the map editor, and confirmed that the problem is being caused by the invisible 3D floor that is intended to form the top of the desk, but only when the model is sitting on a 3D floor. Raising the invisible 3D floor allows the model to "rise" high enough that it sits properly on the floor. [As before, when the model is sitting on a regular floor, it is unaffected by the height of the invisible 3D floor.] The problem then becomes one of other models (e.g., monitor, desk lamp) not appearing to sit properly on the desk. The picture below illustrates the visual glitch when the invisible 3D floor is raised high enough to allow the desk to sit properly on a 3D floor.]
Desk Model Sinks into Floor
Desk Model Sinks into Floor
Desk Model Messed Up.jpg (37.01 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: Weird Behavior in GZDooM With Just One Model

Post by Graf Zahl »

I think this is caused by doing proper 3D-floor checks for map spawned actors now. Similar effects have been witnessed in some other maps as well where actors were placed in a way that they intersected with a solid 3D-floor (in your case the invisible one.)
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Thanks for the explanation.

It occurred to me that the problem may be getting exacerbated by the height definition of the model. I'm guessing that if I reduce the height definition of the model in DECORATE it will fix the problem with the invisible 3D floor for the desktop.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Rex Claussen wrote:I'm guessing that if I reduce the height definition of the model in DECORATE it will fix the problem with the invisible 3D floor for the desktop.
Yes, this worked.

Return to “GZDoom”