DHTP texture loading order

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

swc132994

DHTP texture loading order

Post by swc132994 »

Hi,

I have been using the ZDoom DHTP pack from Kurakai.
The issue I have is that the pack loads its textures in the incorrect order so basically when playing Doom2, TNT, & Plutonia the Doom1 textures override the textures meant for the other packs if they have the same names. Examples of this is the Doom 1 sky textures loading instead of the Doom2, TNT & Plutonia sky textures.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: DHTP texture loading order

Post by Rachael »

Doom 1 textures are supposed to override Doom 2 textures, other than the skies. Doom 2 has a bunch of dummy switch textures that are placeholders for their Doom 1 counterparts and were only included to allow the executable to load. (It was really hacky, even for id Software, but it worked)

Other than that, try and extract Doom2's mapinfo from GZDoom.pk3 (it is mapinfo/doom2.txt) - rename it mapinfo.txt - and then change all references to "SKY1" to "RSKY1", "SKY2" to "RSKY2", and "SKY3" to "RSKY3" and it should (hopefully?) work a little better.

Not having the pack, myself, however, I do not know for sure. I just know that works for getting Doom 1 and Doom 2 to load simultaneously.
KuriKai

Post by KuriKai »

Why would doom1 textures overwrite doom2/plut/tnt textures on doom2/plut/tnt? That sounds like the wrong thing to do
The layout of the dhtp is

hires/ [folder]
|--doom2/ [folder]
| |--doom2onlyfiles.png [files]
|--doom2-plut/ [folder]
| |--doom2-plutonlyfiles.png [files]
|--doom2-tnt/ [folder]
| |--doom2-tntonlyfiles.png [files]
|--alldoom1/commonfiles.png [files]

for a full list see http://pastebin.ca/3093063
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

KuriKai wrote:Why would doom1 textures overwrite doom2/plut/tnt textures on doom2/plut/tnt? That sounds like the wrong thing to do
As I said, Doom 2 has dummy textures in it. If they override the Doom 1 textures then the Doom 1 component of the pack will look incorrect.

If Doom 1 textures override the Doom 2 ones, however, both games will look correct, but the sky itself will still have to be corrected, referencing the Retail sky patch rather than the texture that was composited out of the overridden Doom 1 texture.

See it for yourself. Try the following:

Code: Select all

gzdoom -iwad doom.wad -file doom2.wad +map e1m8
and then try this

Code: Select all

gzdoom -iwad doom2.wad -file doom.wad +map e1m8
Granted in the second example the map will not be properly playable but it will show how the texture error works.

In the first example, the Doom 1 textures are overridden with Doom 2 ones, and you will see a plain brown switch out of place. This effect is painfully obvious in many Doom 1 maps that make use of its fancy switches, some of which are not present in Doom 2.

In the second example, Doom 2 textures are overridden with Doom 1 ones. Notice how they will not affect the rest of the game if you switch to any Doom 2 map.

(More info here)
KuriKai

Post by KuriKai »

The external textures are not in a wad file(it's a pk3 only) as you can see in the pastebin link.

Why would gzdoom override doom1 textures with what is in the doom2 folder while playing doom1? It shouldn't even need to load the doom2 only textures that are in the pack.

The doomsday engine has this working with the same folder structure(no doom1 textures get overridden while playing doom1) [since the pack is incomplete, and a dom2 sky is missing, it shows the doom1 sky(cause it's in the base folder)]

I would think the engine should load for:
Doom1:
load the base folder only, no need to load the doom2,doom2-plut, doom2-tnt folder.

Doom2:
load the base folder, then load the doom2 folder to overwrite the doom1 textures that are different.

Doom2-tnt
load the base folder, then the doom2-tnt folder.

Doom2-plut
load the base folder, then load the Doom2-plut folder.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Then that is a different problem.

It seems like ZDoom/GZDoom is game insensitive with loading the folders. I don't know if that is by design or if it is a bug, but it should be tested with base ZDoom, itself, and then reported on the ZDoom bug forum.

Still, other than the skies, it really is not an issue.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

KuriKai wrote:ok,
Thankyou
You're welcome. By the way, I got a chance to try out your pack - it's pretty nice from what I've seen so far.

Return to “GZDoom”