OpenGL ES?

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

MrDowntempo

OpenGL ES?

Post by MrDowntempo »

I've got myself a chromebook that I'm super happy with. I'm running Arch on it now. Through setting up window managers, I've come to learn the hard way the difference between OpenGL and OpenGL ES. Lesson learned, and it's all settled now, and I still don't regret getting and ARM device instead of intel (the form factor on this little device more than makes up for having to custom compile an application or two) Doom is the one game I want to get running, however. Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, and PRDOOM (in software mode) are all running fine! Zdoom chugs a bit at around 24fps. My favorite mods though, are GZDoom mods. I did get GZDoom to compile, but it was completely unplayable. Software rendering of OpenGL makes the machine crawl, and many walls just disappear at seemingly random. What I need, is GZDoom compiled for use with OpenGL ES. I've been searching around and can't find any mention of GLES except for a reference to DoomGLES and D-Touch. Anyway.. is compiling GZDoom to use OpenGL ES something possible with just tinkering with compile time flags? Is there an OpenGL ES branch? If not, has anyone else started on converting GZDoom's OpenGL code to OpenGL ES? I'm not much of a coder, but the best way to learn is to have a project, and this would be a project I might be willing to tinker with. I'm just trying to get the lay of the land as it were before I get started.

Thanks!
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: OpenGL ES?

Post by Graf Zahl »

GZDoom uses some features that are not present in OpenGL ES. I'm going to have to take a closer look at D-Touch how it is doing things, but there's more important things to do first, e.g. make it work with a core profile context on Macs.
MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

Thanks for putting it on your list of possiblities :) I wish I could get my hands on the D-touch source and just compile that myself. It's GPL I think, but I can't find the source. Sent an email to the dev but haven't heard back yet.
MrDowntempo

Post by MrDowntempo »

Hey Graf, do you have access to D-Touch's source code? It's supposedly GPL but I can't find where it's available, and my attempts to contact the developer have so far failed. If you could point me to the source, I could tinker around with it, and maybe get it to build on my arm. Thanks :)
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The last source of D-Touch which I have is based on GZDoom 1.8.6, which is perfectly useless for making it work with the current development version.
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

If you are really interested in some source codes of questionable quality you can find it here. This was merged from D-Touch fork but the related branch was deleted later for an unknown reason.
Anyway it's not complete, at least CMake files were not updated and no IDE projects were committed instead. So it's kept for informational purposes only.
MrClaws

Post by MrClaws »

So I am very new to Doom mods (as in this is my very first try with them) I seen some Youtube videos and they looked fun so decided to give them a try. So far every mod I find needs GZdoom to play it. So i download it and get it set add the wad files and it tell me "Unsupported OpenGL version. At least OpenGL 2.0 with framebuffer support is required to run GZDoom" so this may seem stupid but. How do I get the OpenGL? And in case anybody is currios the mod I am attempted to do is ProDoomer because it looked really fun.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

What mod are you trying?

Will that mod work with GZDoom 1.8.6?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

MrClaws wrote:So i download it and get it set add the wad files and it tell me "Unsupported OpenGL version. At least OpenGL 2.0 with framebuffer support is required to run GZDoom" so this may seem stupid but. How do I get the OpenGL?
This just means that either your graphics hardware is too old or your driver does not properly support OpenGL. The last version to support GL versions below 2.0 was GZDoom 1.8.6 which is more than two years old.

The first question here should be: What's your graphics card?

Return to “GZDoom”