Screenshot Discussion Thread

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

Xaser's screenshots look groundsmashingly awesome.
So do Rex's. Awesome work folks!
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

Heh, yep, they've got some good screenshots. Rex's and Xaser's now rule page 5.

Heh, InsanityBringer, dynamic lights are fun to abuse, right? =D Welcome to DRD BTW

I should submit some screenies of my better work... *crams out testmaps and particles*
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

KeksDose wrote:Heh, InsanityBringer, dynamic lights are fun to abuse, right?
I do it all the time :) .
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

O_o This would kill my framerate o_O This looks great, though-
Shinjanji

Post by Shinjanji »

Why are all the particles of the sandstorm using additive blending? A heavy sandstorm would block out a lot of light, not glow brightly!
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

Because I actually want them to have "Alpha-Channeled" fade outs, which aren't properly possible yet in GZDoom. If it would support this correctly it would block the sight and would not glow bright. But they're actually taken in "Bright" light mode, in Doom Light mode it looks much better.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Some of these special effects are looking very nice. I look forward to seeing them in action.
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

I planned to release the next version of my GZRP in the next week, or even earlier. The sandstorm and a few other goodies are in there. In this time I can actually tweak the sandstorm a bit and add a few other things. I have a VERY different technique now, so this might look 10 000 times better than the last one.
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

You sure love to do these special effects, KeksDose, they look awesome. :D
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

Thanks :wink: I tweaked the things a bit to make the sandstorm completely block the sight, like Shinjanji said. And yeah, I actually like to make them. I just have a few ideas and then there will be some madness: Sandstorm, rain, snowfall, underwater, glitter, explosions etc. I just look at some pictures. Let's say I look at smoke or something alike. Then I try to recognize this picture as good as I can. Then I get the graphics ready and code the particles. Voila, a particle fountain is born :wink: It's so simple and it looks so nice. And if you place them in a map, like the one I'm currently working on, you will get a real Doom 3-ish feeling :happy:

[Edit] DAMN! InsanityBringer, that's Quake quality right there O_o Finally someone who uses dynamic lights properly :happy:
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

KeksDose and InsanityBringer... your screenshots are phenominal. Throw out the Doom pistol, the Doom sprites and the alternate HUD and it won't even look like Doom anymore. :O

KeksDose:

1) Are the sandstorm particles animated? Do you use a program to generate them? I'd be interested in the program because I hate hand drawing and animating smoke particles (and they never turn out convincing for me anyway :/).

2) You can make the standstorm block light and have smooth faded out edges by making use of PNG's alpha channel. In case you haven't figured it out, I put this together real quick for you to check out.
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

Thanks Nash, you're a real life saver :wink: And this looks very cool, too :wink: I PM you about the graphics. :wink:

[Edit]

Hmm, there's something very odd...

Notice the egdyness on the place where the fade-outs should be? :-s This would make me fall back to my old method :twisted:
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Thanks for your PM. :) What I had in mind was if there was a program that lets you use scripting to automatically generate animated frames.

Anyway I use Photoshop so your tutorial is quite handy. I'll definitely use them as a reference. =)

As for the problem... hmmm you're right. I didn't quite notice it when I made the file yesterday because it was done very quickly and I didn't have my glasses on. :P

Looks like some of the alpha information is ignored and it loses precision. Let me ask Graf about it in the Bugs forum...
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

Can be fixed, but not that easy.
Graf Zahl wrote:...it's not that easy to fix
So it is possible, but just difficult.

Return to “GZDoom”