Screenshot Discussion Thread

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Jive wrote:Are you able to tell me what you're looking at? :-D
Heh, that's easy. MapE1M2, the secret outdoor area where you can pick up a chaingun and a soul sphere.

Nice picture, though.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I'll go further than that. I reckon it's E1M2 in the location ReX said, but it's also using Kurikai's latest texture pack release. Also, there are a lot of dead marine bodies implying a deathmatch game. However, all the bodies seem to be the same colour. Assuming all players are not using the same colour, it looks like a very one-sided match. :P
Jive

Post by Jive »

Enjay wrote:I'll go further than that. I reckon it's E1M2 in the location ReX said, but it's also using Kurikai's latest texture pack release. Also, there are a lot of dead marine bodies implying a deathmatch game. However, all the bodies seem to be the same colour. Assuming all players are not using the same colour, it looks like a very one-sided match. :P
ARGGGGGGGGGGG....
On my ass, I'm on my ass !!!!!!!!
:shock:
What I can conclude is that you are...
Attachments
and you should have a life out of Doom<br />Hahaha !!!
and you should have a life out of Doom
Hahaha !!!
ADO_ENDPIC_after.jpg (55.53 KiB) Viewed 9325 times
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Moved from the screenshots thread. Please remove the post in that thread if you want.
Alex-bomber_Man wrote:Hmm.. looks nice, but as for me - it needs more details =)
I quite like the level of detailing. There is some there, but it has been kept quite clean looking and not overly cluttered. What is there has been quite nicely done by the look of it.
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Good to see you're getting the hang of modeling, Enjay. I really have to ask though... how on earth did you achieve the transparent tube in the model?

I mean... please tell me GZDoom finally supports alpha in model skins!? I'd so crap my pants if that has been recently implemented!
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

The model is a bit of a cheat - from a number of perspectives. My modelling style is still much like my spriting style - Frankenstein-like. ie, I copy and paste stuff from other sources. So, if there is a model that has the basic elements that I need shape-wise, I'll copy that and then change it to suit my needs. These tubes were made from an old model of a simple barrel that was nothing more than a cylinder and a box model. With copying, pasting, deleting bits and moving stuff around I got what I wanted. I'm still not very good at doing stuff from scratch.

As for how I got the tubes translucent, again more cheating. If an actor has a translucent renderstyle, then GZdoom will use that setting and apply it to the model. My tube effect is done by the tube guys (sprite) actor immediately spawning 2 models in its spawn state. 1 actor has the model for the solid looking bits of the tube attached and the second actor is a translucent actor with a model for the glass part of the tubes attached. So, for each tube that you see in those pics, there is a central sprite actor and 2 additional actors, each with a model attached.
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Oh. Clever tricks - although I was disappointed because I really want model skin alpha... :(
Blade Nightflame

Post by Blade Nightflame »

Some darn nice screens there, Bomb'n-man. Has a funky Chasm: The Rift like feeling to it. ;)
Alex-bomber_Man

Post by Alex-bomber_Man »

Really? XD you are not the first who told me that. Well, as for project - i have to add one more weapon and a few maps for a release.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Alex & Enjay, those pics are terrific.

Enjay, any plans to do a Star Wars mod and use those models? It'll be schweet!
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

No plans. I was just messing with the models to see what they would look like in GZdoom. I'd quite like to have a Star Wars mod under my belt but I don't see myself ever summoning up enough motivation to do it. I did one years ago as a Heretic TC but that got well and truly lost through a combination of disk formatting and floppy corruption. Shame, it was pretty reasonable for the time.
Bishop

Re: Screenshot Discussion Thread

Post by Bishop »

That's an interesting concept, but I wouldn't use dynamic lights to do any advanced lighting like that in gzdoom. It's all very limited.
Trying to pull something off like that using dynamic lights I find a bit too much hassle for how nice it would look.
You would always see the round edges on the shadow casting. (unless you accuratley place and size many smaller ones to fill in the gaps, but may lag when done often. Terribly) Same thing with the actual "directionnal" light itself.
The shadow seems a bit too dark as well. The spot light would emit light onto the shadow as well, not making it totally dark.
I agree with what you wrote after that... If gzdoom had the possibility to place circular lights and directional lights where you could adjust color, size and intensity would be nice. And what would be nicer is if theese lights would behave more realisticly meaning that the light would not only light up a small area, but light up the entire room in a way depending on many factors (intesity mainly) and eventually casting shadows wherever it would. Anyone who has ever done any mapping for Half-Life 2 would probably know what I'm talking about.
Not trying to get too ahead of myself, this is all very complex and might be such a hassle to implement and make it work niceley. (without any FPS drop) So, I'm not too enthousiastic about it happening anytime soon.
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

The effect is only partially finished, actually. I wanted to do more with it, but in all reality, it's just a proof-of-concept, to see if I could do it, so I'm probably not going to touch it again.
Logan MTM

Post by Logan MTM »

Dave_B wrote:Here's a couple of screenshots from my latest WAD, Doom 2: Evolved...[/img]
I just loved it! (L)
So as you read this know my friends I'd love to stay with you all.
Please smile when you think of me. My body's gone that's all...
dark-slayer-201

Screenshots

Post by dark-slayer-201 »

Janitor wrote:Image
although that is awesome, will it beat Total Chaos?

Return to “GZDoom”