Fluidsynth on Mac OS X

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Ace83

Fluidsynth on Mac OS X

Post by Ace83 »

Ironically, audio & music is my field so I should perhaps know better but this is unexpectedly complicated. :shock:

But I've managed to install Fluidsynth and Qsynth (GUI). However when loading a soundfont I get this warning message:
Spoiler:
No music at all when opening GZ Doom...

Any ideas what I've missed?

Alternatively, if there's some other easier alternative than Fluidsynth I'm all ears!
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Re: Fluidsynth on Mac OS X

Post by _mental_ »

Did you configured FluidSynth in GZDoom?

To work properly it needs to be able to load FluidSynth's shared library named libfluidsynth.1.dylib by default.
Its name/path can be customized using fluid_lib CVAR.
Even if you have .dylib loaded you still need to set fluid_patchset CVAR by hand.
And you don't need Qsynth at all.

How did you install FluidSynth by the way?

EDIT: In GZDoom 2.2.0 shared library is named libfluidsynth.so.1 and its name/path cannot be configured. This feature is available in devbuilds only.
Ace83

Post by Ace83 »

I used these install instructions: https://github.com/wbsoft/frescobaldi/w ... n-Mac-OS-X .. hence why I included Qsynth in the process. Prior the install I tried to reach the install instructions on the Fluidsynth homepage, but I was unable to access Sourceforge for a while (which some of their links were linked to). I was probably mistaken for a bot. However, it seems like their instructions are even more overwhelming.

The only thing I did in GZ Doom was to change the sound options in-game (Fluidsynth is apparently an option). However, if I understand your reply correctly, that won't suffice.

The stuff you mentioned is a bit over my head, although I'm sure I can handle this. Hopefully :P so if you could point me in the right direction that would be appreciated.
Is libfluidsynth.1.dylib the only file I need? In what folder should it be placed?
Also, I've read that I need a soundfont file too. If so, where is it supposed to be?
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

You can download FluidSynth which I'm using here.
I prefer to install it system wide, in /usr/local/lib directory. Copying files there usually requires admin rights though.
GZDoom 2.2.0 and devbuilds use different file name to locate the library, see my previous post.

Information about sound fonts is here. Full path to .sf2 should be set in fluid_patchset CVAR.
Ace83

Post by Ace83 »

( Just for the record for future readers; the earlier mentioned warning message was by Qsynth and irrelevant now. )
  • - Yep, the install file is the same (from this site; in that list of the builds).
    - libfluidsynth.1.dylib copied to /usr/local/lib
    - I also have put the soundfont at a custom dir.
The rest is guess work, considering I'm new with GZ.
  • - Upon entering the console command, this is the error I get:
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

Remove CVAR from your command. You just need to execute the following in the console:

Code: Select all

fluid_patchset /Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks/midi.sf2
Of course /Library/Audio/Sounds/Banks/midi.sf2 must exist and should be a valid sound font.
Ace83

Post by Ace83 »

Thanks a lot, works and sounds great!

I only got a weird image error or something upon entering the command, but I can't notice anything wrong. :)

Return to “GZDoom”