Selectively Setting Up Fog in Maps?

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: Selectively Setting Up Fog in Maps?

Post by Rachael »

That's likely my fault, really, I did it without consulting anyone at all. I just wanted a quick and easy solution, and I didn't want to make anybody else work for it.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Graf Zahl wrote:Why did nobody ask? I'm here all the time, you could have gotten a better answer if someone had just bothered. :(
If you just need an automated way to convert light levels into sector colors, I guess the only way to do that is to define a ZSCRIPT actor that scans the entire sector array in its Tick function and converts the light level into sector color.
Would someone translate this for me, please? Is it a viable solution to use a defaultmap while also being able to assign sector-specific fog?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

This issue is now resolved. Instead of having to go through each sector by sector color like I thought I was going to have to do - Graf did this commit which enabled me to do this:

Code: Select all

defaultmap
{
lightmode = 0
fogdensity = 1
fade = "00 00 00"
evenlighting
nolightfade
}
Note the change of lightmode from 4 to 0 to enable this. Warp to map15 - and wow. It works just absolutely perfect, and it looks nice, too.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Wait a minute - this was using the broken (by intent) LEGACY light mode? No wonder nothing worked right. That mode overrides half the light and fog settings with what Doom Legacy would do and that was rather borked from the start.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

It still looked better than 0 with the diminishing light effects.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

You should have used 1 instead of 0. It might have looked better because it uses far less intense fog.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Graf Zahl wrote:Wait a minute - this was using the broken (by intent) LEGACY light mode? No wonder nothing worked right. That mode overrides half the light and fog settings with what Doom Legacy would do and that was rather borked from the start.
Actually, the fog effects in Map15 had been set up at least 4 or 5 years back, before the use of defaultmap settings in MAPINFO. The introduction of defaultmap in conjunction with the newer GZDooM builds was what seemed to be causing the conflict.

Glad all is well now. Thanks to both of you for fixing this.

Return to “GZDoom”