Feature Request - Gzdoom Classic Renderer Mode

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

blueinferno776

Feature Request - Gzdoom Classic Renderer Mode

Post by blueinferno776 »

I thought about this and I do on occasion go back to version 1.9.1 to enjoy the glory days I had with this port when I first discovered it. I liked how simple it was.

Is there any possibility that the current renderer can have a secondary one without any features from version 2.2.0 and up for the classic setup that 1.9.1 and 2.1.1 has?

I have nothing against the new enhancements at all, they are really cool! I was curious if there where others out there that liked this Idea. And I think this can be useful if someone is having severe problems with the current versions and dev builds like me. :(
dpJudas
Developer
Developer

Re: Feature Request - Gzdoom Classic Renderer Mode

Post by dpJudas »

Not sure I really understand the problem - all the new rendering features are all optional. No bloom, no problem - just turn it off. Same for the other ones.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

The feature already exists.

gzdoom -glversion 2

It's not 100% the same as it was before, but it's pretty close.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Not really. The GL 4 renderer with all effects turned off is closer to 1.9 on the same hardware. -glversion 2 disables a few features like correct display of fullscreen colormaps or glowing flats which only work with shaders.

In any case, there's no need for a 'classic' mode because all effects are optional and the main difference between 2.3 with effects disabled and 1.9 is that 2.3 has better performance.
blueinferno776

Post by blueinferno776 »

dpJudas wrote:Not sure I really understand the problem - all the new rendering features are all optional. No bloom, no problem - just turn it off. Same for the other ones.
I should have gave it better thought. Even without any of them turned on I am having severe frame drops with 2.3.2. I have since then avoided this release and fell back to 2.1.1. Actually 2.2.0 was only slightly slower, I had no problems overall I was even able to use bloom and tonemaps while staying smooth, 2.3.2 I cant use it at all with out frame dives.

Rachael wrote:The feature already exists.

gzdoom -glversion 2

It's not 100% the same as it was before, but it's pretty close.

I will try this out then :D

Graf Zahl wrote:Not really. The GL 4 renderer with all effects turned off is closer to 1.9 on the same hardware. -glversion 2 disables a few features like correct display of fullscreen colormaps or glowing flats which only work with shaders.

In any case, there's no need for a 'classic' mode because all effects are optional and the main difference between 2.3 with effects disabled and 1.9 is that 2.3 has better performance.

Okay this is more sane rather then do a new classic renderer, I am just having hell running your latest stuff. :(

Return to “GZDoom”