What happened to the FMOD EX sound system?

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Korell

What happened to the FMOD EX sound system?

Post by Korell »

I've noticed that recent builds of GZDoom no longer have FMOD EX as an option for the sound system. However, the FMOD DLL library file is still present in the installation folder. Is this a bug or is it intentionally removed from newer builds? If it is intentionally removed then is the FMOD DLL just left in accidentally or is it somehow being used? I have seen some reports that OpenAL causes a little bit of slowdown due to how it loads sounds, causing minor pauses every once in a while.
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Re: What happened to the FMOD EX sound system?

Post by _mental_ »

The sound system was removed. DLL is still here because automated build system was not updated yet.
Delays may be present depending on particular mod(s) being used. This will be fixed.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

FMod has been removed because of the license change to GPL which it is incompatible with.
If you experience slowdowns on maps please post a report. So far I haven't seen any, but I also got a fast SSD in my system.
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

I was able to reproduce the single long game frame with the following:
Major Cooke wrote:Easiest way I found with D4D is "summon baronrune" when you start a new game. There's quite a notable lag spike there, after closing console.
Everything was loaded from RAM drive so disk operations are not the issue here.

Return to “GZDoom”