GZDoom 3.0.0 Released

News about GZDoom.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

theleo_ua

Re: GZDoom 3.0.0 Released

Post by theleo_ua »

Graf Zahl wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 19:02 It doesn't really matter. Ogg by itself isn't the actual problem, but you have to consider that an uncompressed Ogg sound is roughly 10x the size of the actual Ogg file and this just causes a much heavier load on the system even though the files are not really larger than Doom's original effects. What I'd recommend is adding the sounds to a precaching list in MAPINFO, then they'll get loaded on map start where it won't bog down performance. The individual load time for a single Ogg effect isn't that much, you could still load a few hundred of them at map start and it won't really be noticable with all the other stuff being loaded. It's just that loading a few effects live during gameplay can on occasion tale a bit longer than it is necessary to keep the game running smooothly.
Tried to change all OGG to MP3 (CBR) and loading speed noticeably increased, I almost saw no differences between WAV and MP3 (MP3 was a little bit slower than WAV). Did you do any tests with mp3 vs ogg loading speed in GZdoom 3.0?

So my opinion, that CBR MP3 is the best format for GZDoom 3.x if you consider "file size / loading speed" value
Nothing smells better than a dead Governor in the morning (c) http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 026#808026
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

No idea. But if Ogg loading is so much slower there must be a problem in the library somewhere. That's not normal.
theleo_ua

Post by theleo_ua »

Maybe it related to VBR in my ogg files, I will test CBR ogg later
Nothing smells better than a dead Governor in the morning (c) http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic ... 026#808026
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I don't think so. I could verify that decoding is 3x slower than with FMod very reliably with different sound files.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Thenuke wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 15:24 Excuse me, about my mod without automap HUD, the automap texts color has turned yellow, how can I turned it back to red, please?
That was a bug which is now fixed. Next release will have the usual color back.

Return to “News”