News about GZDoom.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Here's the latest update - and this time there's a few new features! ;)

- Finally added a hires texture namespace. When using a WAD put all textures that are supposed to replaced existing textures with hires versions between HI_START/HI_END. If using a ZIP put them in the 'hires' folder.

- Added a Transfer_WallLight special that works like Transfer_Ceiling/FloorLight, just for walls. It has 2 parameters:
- lineid - specify the id of the lines affected by this
- flags - 1:affect first side, 2:affect second side, 4:disable fake contrast. Flags are additive.

- The GL renderer finally supports the fake contrast of the software renderer. But since I know that some people don't like it there's an option in the menu to disable it.

I also updated the DoomBuilder/WadAuthor configurations for the Transfer_WallLight special.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: 0.9.27

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:- Added a Transfer_WallLight special that works like Transfer_Ceiling/FloorLight, just for walls. It has 2 parameters:
- lineid - specify the id of the lines affected by this
- flags - 1:affect first side, 2:affect second side, 4:disable fake contrast. Flags are additive.
OK, for those of use who don't use WA or DB ;), it's type 16 yes? [edit]Yup, certainly seems to be correct.[/edit]

Also, does it actually set a lineid as well? ie does the line with the special also become identified with the lineid argument number, or is it purely for identifying the target lines?

No way to just affect upper/lower/mid?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

This special does not set a line ID. This isn't necessary because you either use it in a control sector or on an otherwise unused line to transfer the properties.

No, it affects the entire line. I just expose some previously inaccessible ZDoom functionality with it.
Shinjanji

Post by Shinjanji »

Where can we download it? The downloads page is still only showing .26

or am I overlooking something obvious?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. The update apparently vanished somewhere. I'll have to do it again.
Shinjanji

Post by Shinjanji »

Ok, thanks.

Oh the irony, however. I ran into a situation just minutes ago that transfer_walllight can fix!

talk about handy!
lemonzest

Post by lemonzest »

what exactly does fake contrast do?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Fake contrast is the effect that changes brightness for perfectly horizontal and vertical lines in the software renderer. I got support almost for free because it uses the same data I needed for the Transfer_WallLight support
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Very nice, Graf! Thanks for the new version. I'm lovin' it.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Shinjanji wrote:Where can we download it? The downloads page is still only showing .26

or am I overlooking something obvious?
Well, it's fixed now, but it was pretty obvious. You just had to put a 7 where the 6 was in the previous download. ;)
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

The fake contrast can sometimes break certain lighting effects that were intended by the author, but I guess that's why it's an option.

There's this one wall in Strife MAP01 (Sanctuary) where there's a light being cast onto a vertical wall. Without the fake contrast, the intended effect is retained (the wall is bright).

With the fake contrast, that part of the wall suddenly becomes dark. It looks weird but I can cope with it.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If you absolutely don't want fake contrast you can completely disable it for your map by specifying 'evenlighting' in MAPINFO for it. ZDoom has had that option for a long time.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

It's nice to have as an option. Ever since Zdoom introduced "evenlighting" I've been trying to work out what I prefer: and I still don't know. :?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It heavily depends on the maps. On dark maps I prefer fake contrast but on modern tech maps like Daedalus I prefer evenlighting. Occasionally it might even be preferable to customize the fake contrast values.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

On the hi-res textures thing: Do I still need to define large, true colour graphics in HIRESTEX before using them in a UT-style skybox, or can I just stick them in a WAD and allow GLDEFS to do its magic?

Return to “News”