News about GZDoom.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Sir_Alien

Re: 1.0.03

Post by Sir_Alien »

Paul wrote:Unless a monster kills another monster..
I could still accept that that would add to your own personal experience: learning that the monsters aren't that bright and that you can trick them into in-fighting is surely good experience. :)
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

But you wouldn't get the XP, assuming the monster was able to switch targets before it died. The other monster would, oddly, get the XP. A clever modder would cause it to transform into something nastier or heal up under such circumstances....
Sir_Alien

Post by Sir_Alien »

Deathsong12 wrote:But you wouldn't get the XP, assuming the monster was able to switch targets before it died. The other monster would, oddly, get the XP.
Wouldn't you just have a script that would increase the amount of a variable that would activate certain level up scripts as it got higher? I assumed that we have moved on from the "TargetInventory" conversation when...
Paul wrote:Why not executing a script, on monsters' deaths, that gives you a specific ammount of experience points, which are a global variable? I think it's easier to control it that way :)
But if you are talking about TargetInventory then yes, you are correct. But IMO this would be a uncontrolable and unpredictable way to do it compared to Paul's suggestion.
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

Draconio wrote: Yes, I'm aware of that method, what I was thinking is that by doing it the way I proposed, you save yourself from having to tag an ACS_Execute to every monster you place into a map. .
You don't have to.
ACTOR Mymonster
{
(blah blah)
States
{
Spawn:
(blah)
Death:
SPRT GHIJ 4
SPRT K 4 A_Scream
SPRT L ACS_Execute(500,0,200,0,0) // First is script 500 that gives experience, 200 is ammount of experience, other arguments may be multipliers of the exp value
SPRT M -1
Stop
}
}
I hope this helps in some way :)

EDIT:
A bit of blubber: I think there's some sort of a trend lately for RPG systems around Zdoom community ;)
SlayeR

Post by SlayeR »

Probably because it's only recently become possible (well, it kinda was before, but it was nowhere near as nice to do :P)
Draconio

Post by Draconio »

Paul wrote:
Draconio wrote: Yes, I'm aware of that method, what I was thinking is that by doing it the way I proposed, you save yourself from having to tag an ACS_Execute to every monster you place into a map. .
You don't have to.
ACTOR Mymonster
{
(blah blah)
States
{
Spawn:
(blah)
Death:
SPRT GHIJ 4
SPRT K 4 A_Scream
SPRT L ACS_Execute(500,0,200,0,0) // First is script 500 that gives experience, 200 is ammount of experience, other arguments may be multipliers of the exp value
SPRT M -1
Stop
}
}
I hope this helps in some way :)
I see, I was misunderstanding what you were suggesting before. This makes a lot more sense.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

As someone who makes map-independant mods, ACS isn't always the best option. Besides, a "Darwin" mod in which monsters eat each other to become stronger would be cool.
DoomWarrior

Post by DoomWarrior »

This doesn't really have anything to do with the new release but i need some things clearing up, things that need to be fixed in GZDoom:

1. If you use the Status Bar Hud and you go to the menu, you will say a thin yellow line appear across the bottem of the screen. When you exit the menu it is still there, the only way i can get rid of it is to press F1 and then return to the game. This happens everytime i enter/exit the menu.

2. Is it possible to fix the Stretch Short Skies command? i find it quite annoying that the sky is very large, i like it when it's normal size.

3. This is probably obvious and has been answered before but why can not make demos work? isn't their some solution to fix the problem?
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Demos that are not of the current (G)Zdoom format, corresponding to version number, won't work. All the demos that come with older wads won't ork, either because they were recorded on an old version of the source port, or because they ar not the correct format.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

DoomWarrior wrote:This doesn't really have anything to do with the new release but i need some things clearing up, things that need to be fixed in GZDoom:

1. If you use the Status Bar Hud and you go to the menu, you will say a thin yellow line appear across the bottem of the screen. When you exit the menu it is still there, the only way i can get rid of it is to press F1 and then return to the game. This happens everytime i enter/exit the menu.
The status bar is drawn one pixel too high due to roundoff errors. Unfortunately this is not easy to fix because for the engine the values look ok so it had to be forced which can have side effects.
2. Is it possible to fix the Stretch Short Skies command? i find it quite annoying that the sky is very large, i like it when it's normal size.
I constantly keep forgetting about this... Skies with a height of 128 don't really need to be stretched with the current sky code.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Okay the problem with the monsters not giving the player experience that they got from killing other monsters can be avoided by checking in thier own inventory for exp and giving the player that EXP as well. That way you only get it when you deep 6 the monster that did all the killing. (And personally I'd prefer this anyway)

Is there any optional numbers for these codepointers or no? I hate not knowing every last thing about a specific codepointer (see tutorial on WeaponReady and Refire in the Doom Armory for an example of anal retentiveness)
Eriance

Post by Eriance »

Does A_TakeFromTarget work for player weapons? Like taking the health of the mosnter via hit-scan or projectile collision? And how are the Arguments arranged in these new code pointers?

A_TakeFromTarget ("actor", amount)?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I have asked that like so many times now... YEESH, GRAF.
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

I have a question regarding A_GiveToTarget. What if the target is a monster and you give it health? Would that heal it?

Return to “News”