News about GZDoom.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Brightmaps allow certain pixels on a sprite to be bright rather than the all or nothing approach of fullbright sprites.

It looks like the way to do it is to make a graphic the same size as the main sprite. You make pixels that you want on the original sprite to be bright light colours (eg white) and pixels that you want to be dull dark colours (eg black) and then map the graphic to the original sprite using a control lump. Graf has included an example in the latest distribution. Load up brightmaps.pk3 and have a look (switch off dynamic lights to make it more obvious). You'll see things like enemies having bright gun flashes but the rest of the sprite being normally lit etc.
Azure Agony

Post by Azure Agony »

Is it a possibility to make something like brightmaps for textures?
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

That would be very nice! I can't check it ATM but I think the control lump references the actor that has the sprites. If so, and if that is an essential part of the definition, then the system couldn't do it at present. However, from a layman's POV it does seem like it should be an easy extension to the current system if it isn't already in. Let's hope so.
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

Thx for the explanation Enjay :) That helps :)
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

I'm happy that #include now works for gldefs. :D
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote:That would be very nice! I can't check it ATM but I think the control lump references the actor that has the sprites.

No, it doesn't. It references the sprite frame by its texture name. In any case, since a sprite is just a texture like anything else for the renderer there's nothing to prevent brightmaps from other types of textures. In fact, for Strife this is already done internally to create the fullbright colors in the palette.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Good news, I'll have to try that too. Real Life is just getting in the way ATM so I still haven't had a chance to try my own stuff yet.

long shot... I don't suppose model skins can also work? Somewhat ironically, you've just given us the power to specify individual bright pixels on a sprite and now I'm looking at some model replacements that I have only just recently made and they look very odd being totally bright when only certain areas of them should be - especially when I now have such control over sprites. :lol:
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Glowing eyes for a 3-d demon... zomg!
OdinM1

Post by OdinM1 »

Once again, Graf, thank you for yet another release!
mundungu

Post by mundungu »

When attempting to run The Ultimate Torment/Torture with this newest version, I get an error

Code: Select all

Script error, "DEC_CLAS" line 36:
Expected string constant but got identifier 'AltSkinDeath' instead.
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

I think this whole unquoted string business is making Graf just about ready to bang his head into a wall... :mrgreen:
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

More the fact that despite my clear announcement of this fact there were 2 mods released by the same person who still released the version with the old syntax - and worse, for calls that should have been deleted to begin with because they not only were unnecessary, they even might have caused problems if they had worked as intended!
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Well, considering his custom title says "Mr. Impatience"... :P

BTW, Graf, if I want to use the WAD structure, do I have to put the brightmaps between any markers?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

No. They have to be referenced by the GLDEFS lump by name so you can place them anywhere outside the markers.
ChupaReaper

Post by ChupaReaper »

#include for GLDEFS has made life much easier, but I still have a huge MODELDEF to split up -it can't be to hard to put #include into MODELDEFS as well can it?

Return to “News”