News about GZDoom.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

After adding a few interesting new features in the last few days I thought that a new release might be in order, so here it is.

So what's new?

- First version with ZDoom's new garbage collector which provides significant performance improvements on maps with lots of actors.
- Switch to Fmod Ex. (It doesn't use the latest still unfinished sound rewrite from ZDoom though.)
- Implementation of 3DMIDTEX feature, inspired by Eternity
- Linked sectors for complex moving structures that are not supposed to break apart when only one part gets blocked.
- Separate texture offsets and scrolling for upper, middle and lower textures.
- plus lots of smaller things.
Last edited by Graf Zahl on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:37, edited 2 times in total.
StasBFG[iddqd]

Post by StasBFG[iddqd] »

Sound code is really messed up :(
Karate Chris

Post by Karate Chris »

Nice! Nuts in OpenGL? Sounds like it's worth a try! :D
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

Excuse me Graf, but after 1.1.0 should come 1.1.01 right? :P nice work anyway :)
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yeah, typo.

And there's 1.1.02 which addresses a sound bug in Heretic.

In case you are experiencing any kind of sound problem, please try to switch between 2D and 3D sound.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

StasBFG[iddqd] wrote:Sound code is really messed up :(

Just a hint: Reports like this don't help me AT ALL. Please describe your problems.
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

I dunno, it seems like a problem in the SNDSEQ lump.The sound what supposed to play infinitely til the door closes has an error.It stops after the sound ends and with a little gap it starts again.In 1.1.0 there wasn't a gap like this.
Also, sometimes the close door sound plays much more earlier than the door could reach it's closed sequence.

EDIT: both in 2D and 3D sound mode.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

What WAD? What door? How am I supposed to test this if you don't tell me where to look?
DoomerMrT

Post by DoomerMrT »

Ok then You cannot test it.Sorry.
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

Could you be so kind and explain the 3DMIDTEX's, the linked sectors and the seperate texture offsets a bit closer? Maybe with example wads? That would help alot :)
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Just look them up at the wiki man, it's all there and shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Tormentor667 wrote:Could you be so kind and explain the .... linked sectors....
Info from the ZDooM wiki. I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of the 'Flat' argument, and how it ties in with the 'Type' argument. I guess that for a platform that can only get blocked from below the 'flat' would take a 0 value (for the control sector of the floor) and the 'type' would take a value of 2.

I'll need to download GZDooM v1.1.02 and the SVN of ZDooM to try it out.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

'flat' and 'type' describe different things:

- flat is the moving plane in the control sector
- type describes which planes in the linked sector move in sync with that master plane. You can link floors to floors, floors to ceilings, ceilings to floors and ceilings to ceilings. You can also link both floor and ceiling to the same master plane.

Blocking should be handled the same for all linking combinations. The only exception is crushing, because there's only crushing ceilings with one exception that's not of interest here. Done this way you can create crushing 3D-floors if you link the 3D-floor's control sector to such a ceiling.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Graf Zahl wrote:You can also link both floor and ceiling to the same master plane.
Curious. The documentation did not indicate that both ceiling & floor could be linked to a single plane.
.... there's only crushing ceilings with one exception that's not of interest here. Done this way you can create crushing 3D-floors if you link the 3D-floor's control sector to such a ceiling.
From the wiki I couldn't quite tell how to implement a crushing 3D floor.

Essentially, what I need is a 2-sector 3D platform that rests on a piston (a third sector, which is not 3D) and which lowers and rises when activated by a switch. If it's crushing, so much the better. The platform sectors have tags 129 and 130, and the control sector has a tag of 131. For a non-crushing platform I would need to have two lines of code in my OPEN script as follows:

Sector_SetLink (131, 129, flat, type);
Sector_SetLink (131, 130, flat, type);

I'm guessing that 'flat' would take a value of 0 (false = floor), as the control sector's floor is what encounters the blocking. In that case, the 'type' would take a value of 2, to link the target's ceiling to the floor of the control sector.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and please also provide some guidance on how to implement crushing. Thanks.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

It's hard to tell without actually seeing the lift. One thing I can tell you: The plane you link to entirely depends on the movement you define. In this case, if you need crushing you will need a separate master sector and link both the lift and the piston to it. That's because you want the floor of the piston to move but downward moving floors can not crush for obvious reasons so there's simply no special that might be used to define such a movement.

Return to “News”