News about GZDoom.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

GZDoom 1.5.3 released

Post by Graf Zahl »

A new release is out.

The one major new feature is the improved menu code. The new menu can be fully controlled with the mouse.

Aside from that it's mostly bugfixes related to the textured automap code that was introduced in 1.5.2
Mike.Reiner

Re: GZDoom 1.5.3 released

Post by Mike.Reiner »

Sweet action. *downloads*
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Thanks Graf. Always nice to see an official release. :)
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

Horray! I'm kinda happy you're still doing bugfixes to this. :)
TIHan

Post by TIHan »

Menu code is pretty sweet Graf! Just have to get used using the mouse in the menu.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

You don't have to...
TIHan

Post by TIHan »

IMO, mouse is better than keyboard for a game menu.
Since we have used our keyboard for the Doom menu for so long, it just wigs me out that there is a cursor there. But it is awesome.
Barry

Post by Barry »

The mouse is very nice to use to get to an option in the game menu fast. I only saw that when you hover over an option, it doesn't
make a sound, unlike when you use the arrow keys to go up and down with the menu options (It does, however, make a sound when
you click on an option with the mouse). Is it supposed to be like that?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes. Doom's menu sounds get way too annoying when they come each time you hover over an item with the mouse.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I agree with that. Just gliding your mouse over the menu would make a horrible "clunk,clunk,clunk,clunk" noise if they weren't disabled.

However, I suspect that this will be one of those "bugs" that continue to get reported on and off every now and again.
Da Snoop

Post by Da Snoop »

Perhaps the sound it makes when you hover over the menu item might be optional? I mean defined in SNDINFO, quiet by default.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Good idea. I'll see if that's easily doable.
gravitar

Post by gravitar »

Thanks for the new update. A few points that came to mind:

- when using a high dpi mouse, it's too fast in the menus (a problem in many other ports/older games). Would it be possible to have control over the mouse speed in the menus (i.e. setting a certain % of current sens)?

- the dialogue of "overwrite savegame/quicksave over/quit game" closes when just clicking somewhere in the window. In the heat of the battle one might think (I did at first), that the game saved fine, when it didn't. So would it be possible for that window to only close with
- ESC key
- precisely clicking the yes/no option

- general: am_overlay is nice when hunting for secrets and having the map onscreen, only the lines are still too distracting for me (I might try some different colors though).
I don't know how popular this feature is, but something like am_overlay_alpha would be great?

- how can I remove the weapon icons from the althud?

- the menus are getting more complex, they would be easier to access quickly with certain important menus like "video/sound options" being colored, or having a more distinct grouping altogether.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

gravitar wrote:Thanks for the new update. A few points that came to mind:

- when using a high dpi mouse, it's too fast in the menus (a problem in many other ports/older games). Would it be possible to have control over the mouse speed in the menus (i.e. setting a certain % of current sens)?

The mouse cursor is controlled by Windows, so not really.
gravitar wrote: - the dialogue of "overwrite savegame/quicksave over/quit game" closes when just clicking somewhere in the window. In the heat of the battle one might think (I did at first), that the game saved fine, when it didn't. So would it be possible for that window to only close with
- ESC key
- precisely clicking the yes/no option
Have to check.

gravitar wrote: - general: am_overlay is nice when hunting for secrets and having the map onscreen, only the lines are still too distracting for me (I might try some different colors though).
I don't know how popular this feature is, but something like am_overlay_alpha would be great?
Make a suggestion at the ZDoom forums. Here it'll get lost.

gravitar wrote: - the menus are getting more complex, they would be easier to access quickly with certain important menus like "video/sound options" being colored, or having a more distinct grouping altogether.
[/quote]

I think they are fine.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

gravitar wrote:- how can I remove the weapon icons from the althud?
Define empty icons for them in an [wiki]ALTHUDCF[/wiki] lump.

Return to “News”