News about GZDoom.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

GZDoom 2.0.02 Third beta release

Post by Graf Zahl »

A new beta of GZDoom 2.0 is available.

This restores support for OpenGL 3.3. A workaround has been added to enable the lighting code with the reduced feature set of the older hardware.

This means that all AMD and NVidia cards that are capable of running GL 3.x are supported again.
Intel GMA 3000 won't work, though, because it never received a GL 3.3 driver. This chipset would run into problems with the new shader code anyway.

This build has been tested on NVidia hardware and on Intel GMA 4000. What I still need is feedback from AMD users, both with older and newer hardware, before I can do an official 2.0 release.

I need the following info:

- are there any visual issues, in particular with dynamic lights?
- how is performance compared to 1.8.6, both with lights on and off?
Last edited by Graf Zahl on Fri Dec 04, 2015 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GZDoom 2.0.02 Third beta release

Post by Blue Shadow »

I ran a benchmark test on FrozenT.wad with both GZDoom versions. Settings are GZDoom's default ones except for the resolution, which I set to 1366 x 786. I'm running Windows 8.1 64-bit Update 1. My GPU apparently supports OpenGL 4.2 fully, 4.3 mostly, and has no support for 4.4. And of course, I'm still using the outdated drivers from last year, because there are still no new ones from the manufacturer.
Spoiler: 1.8.6
Spoiler: 2.0.2 beta
Unlike with the benchmark test builds, I didn't notice any visual glitches in the scene, whether with or without dynamic lights.
Kappes Buur
Persecution Complex

Post by Kappes Buur »

I have not noticed any differences in performance, however, with the same settings for brightness, contrast and gamma, I get these results

with gzdoom-G1.9pre-790-gc30cfb3
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

with 2.0.02 beta being a lot darker.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

De-M-oN

Post by De-M-oN »

It seems that you have enabled the framecap. Can it be?

If yes, then of course you wont get higher than 35fps.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Just one small thing:

A beta is supposed to be used to get feedback, but apparently most people just skip over it, thinking it's unstable. But if I get no idea how it works on other systems - especially those with AMD graphics cards, I cannot do a stable 2.0 release!
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

Are there any specific maps or mapsets you'd recommend this to be tested with?
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Hello,

GZdoom crashed here (after ~10 minutes of gameplay)

Configuration:
Intel i3-2100 @ 3.10Ghz
Windows 8 64-Bits
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 (Driver Version 331.65)

Mod used: Winter's Fury

Crash message:
Alexis

Post by Alexis »

Here is a second crash, using Deus Vult II. This time, it generated a CrashReport =>

http://www.arcade-history.com/temp/CrashReport.zip
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

Bug report:

Something is wrong with floor (and maybe ceiling) panning:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3hk ... _2.0.2.png (2.0.2. beta)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/iu9 ... re-796.png (1.9pre-796-g8169991)

Also, if you take a close look at the very top of the beta's screenshot, will notice that a few lines of pixels from the top are "repeating". It's easily noticeable if you compare the two screenshots.

The screenshots were taken from the first level of ZPack.

----------------------------------

Edit: Going back to ZPack and the first level, there is conveyor belt in the next room from where you start the level. Said conveyor belt should be moving (scrolling), but in the beta, it doesn't. It still carries you, but the texture/flat itself doesn't scroll.

----------------------------------

Edit 2: Regarding the repeating line of pixels, it shows up like that only on the screenshot. In the actual game, it doesn't. However, this is what happens.

See the how the log messages and the pause sign have incorrect position/offset; they're like being pushed upwards a little.
Ralgor

Post by Ralgor »

I've been testing the beta off and on on my AMD 6970 the last few days. I haven't run into any crashes.

I can confirm the incorrect panning in ZPack, but I'm not getting the weird thing at the top of the screen. However, I'm also running in widescreen (16:9) mode. Your screenshots look like they are in 4:3?
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

My in-game resolution is 800 x 600, but I'm forcing the aspect ratio to 5:4. I tried a 16:9 resolution, however the issue still persists.
Ralgor

Post by Ralgor »

I tried a bunch of different resolutions, and I'm not getting any issues. I suppose it must be hardware or OS related then.

What's the best way to actually test the performance of the beta vs 1.8.6? I tried some things, and so far it looks like when dynamic lights are off, the current release (1.8.6) is somewhat faster than the current beta on my system:

Windows 7 64-bit
Intel Core i7 2600k (non-overclocked)
AMD Radeon HD 6970 (non-overclocked)

However, with dynamic lights in the scene, the situation is reversed, with the beta being faster than the current release. (beta was 130% the performance of the current release in one scene I looked at, that being looking at the ship in the beginning of the first level of Deus Vult 2.)

Beta was 84% of the performance compared to the current release in the same scene with dynamic lights on.

Another interesting thing is that using the "software" lighting mode didn't seem to have any performance impact on the beta, while it does on the current release. I'm not sure why.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

There's the 'bench' console command. Bind that to a key and press that key to write some info to the file 'benchmarks.txt'. Post that information here for both versions.
I also need the console startup log, most importantly the GL extensions string. You can write that to a file by starting gzdoom with 'gzdoom +logfile log.txt'.

Make sure that vid_vsync is 0 for these tests.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

fixed the texture alignment bug in ZPack.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Blue Shadow wrote: Edit 2: Regarding the repeating line of pixels, it shows up like that only on the screenshot. In the actual game, it doesn't. However, this is what happens.

See the how the log messages and the pause sign have incorrect position/offset; they're like being pushed upwards a little.

I have seen this happen when playing in non-fullscreen on a window size that, when the window's frame gets added, is larger than the display's resolution. In this case Windows will make the viewable area smaller than the intended viewport and the top and right will get cut off.

Return to “News”