News about GZDoom.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Manc

Post by Manc »

EDIT: Ok I dunno if your post was directed at me or the other guy, but if it was me then here's my response:
BlackFish wrote:Well there is a bugs forum y'know!
I think the newest release not starting is worth putting in the news thread. If the mods deem otherwise the topic can be split or changed otherwise.
BlackFish wrote: A) It has to do with GZdoom being somewhat unfriendly to ATi cards for some reason (the whole fog bug).
Well as I said .9.12 works just fine, so I doubt it's that.
BlackFish wrote: B) You may not have overwrote all the files?
Verified this.
BlackFish wrote: C) Poor Graf must search for a new bug.
I'm willing to do what I can to help solve the problem.

In the meantime, here's a skybox using graphics posted on doom3world (And maybe also doomworld), part of a set a guy released free for use. Taken with 0.9.12.

http://mike.mancubus.net/projects/gzdoom/DOOM0007.jpg
Last edited by Manc on Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:33, edited 2 times in total.
The HavoX

Post by The HavoX »

wildweasel wrote:Well, how do you know if it's really been fixed or not if you don't try it?
...tries it out...

well I'll be damned, you're right!

worked like a charm :D
Manc

Post by Manc »

As someone who deals with Windows machines for his profession I have really bungled this particular case. I failed to perform the most common windows repair technique: the restart. It works fine now, so I suppose portions of this thread can be removed if need be.
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

Manc: That shot you posted is jaw-dropping awesome. :shock:
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Frustratingly, aside from a quick start-up to check that it ran OK for me last night (which it did), I haven't had any time to mess with this. Presumably defining a skybox as Graf explained means that GZDoom effectively builds a skybox on the fly from the graphics specified and applies it as a sky - no need for the mapper to build anything.

Does the size of the graphics matter? I know they have to be square, but would something as small as, say, 64x64 work (even if it would be ugly)? What about an upper limit? What about different sized squares in the same skybox?

And finally, does anyone have a decent looking set of city-scape graphics that could be used for a skybox. I think Half-life 2 may have some, but I'm very reluctant to go through that ridiculous, drawn out, Steam-driven install process again just to grab a few graphics. Hmmm, maybe Deus-ex might have something too. But if anyone has something handy, well that would be easier...
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Enjay wrote:Frustratingly, aside from a quick start-up to check that it ran OK for me last night (which it did), I haven't had any time to mess with this. Presumably defining a skybox as Graf explained means that GZDoom effectively builds a skybox on the fly from the graphics specified and applies it as a sky - no need for the mapper to build anything.
That'd be much too complicated. Rendering a cube with the center at (0,0,0) is trivial enough to do it without adding any gerometry to the map. It is much simpler: The sky is set up by the game as any normal sky. When rendering that it checks whether the texture used is a skybox definition and just uses different code to render the sky. That also means that default sky rotations should work with skyboxes as well. I haven't tested it yet though.

Does the size of the graphics matter? I know they have to be square, but would something as small as, say, 64x64 work (even if it would be ugly)? What about an upper limit? What about different sized squares in the same skybox?
The size doesn't matter at all. It doesn't even have to be square. The upper limit is defined by the hardware which is 4096 for most cards (but don't be surprised that this won't really work because it eats all the graphics memory.)
Manc

Post by Manc »

Enjay wrote: And finally, does anyone have a decent looking set of city-scape graphics that could be used for a skybox. I think Half-life 2 may have some, but I'm very reluctant to go through that ridiculous, drawn out, Steam-driven install process again just to grab a few graphics. Hmmm, maybe Deus-ex might have something too. But if anyone has something handy, well that would be easier...
Don't worry, hl2's skies don't have buildings in them. All buildings you saw in-game were in the 3d skyportals. The skies themselves are litterally JUSt the skies (clouds, sun, etc).
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

OK, thanks for the info (both).

I'll have to look elsewhere for decent city scapes I guess.

Checks clock - still 4 hours before I get anywhere near my computer. :x
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

(pants for a whole lotta minutes)
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Sexy, I must say that I'm impressed! I downloaded the skies that Blackfish posted and I noticed that they are 360 wides with the top and bottom. Do those work in GZdoom, or do I have to split the 360 sky into 4 different parts?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

No, you can use the 360° skies as well. For those you need to specify 3 textures only: all sides, top and bottom.
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

Manc - wow :D Seriously impessing shit.
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

I see a new counter, nice Graf. Is it possible to add in that little transperant face for the transperant hud?
Manc

Post by Manc »

Paul wrote:Manc - wow :D Seriously impessing shit.
I should clarify that I did not design that skybox, it's just in a small pack I aquired.
BlackFish

Post by BlackFish »

I found the pack at the site. I could convert them all to doom format but not tonight.

Return to “News”