GZDoom 2.1.1 and 1.9.1 released

News about GZDoom.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Camaxide

Re: GZDoom 2.1.1 and 1.9.1 released

Post by Camaxide »

Just to clearify - since I wrote on the zdoom forum. The cvar snd_streambuffersize 128 does fix the music playback - but it requires a restart of the game after setting it. (I guess also restarting the sound end will also work)
I mistook the cvar for being a command line parameter, thus had it wrong when I tried it earlier.. :)
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Yes, it requires a restart of the sound system, because it's a parameter of the sound init function.
Camaxide

Post by Camaxide »

woah - the new Dev build compared to 2.1.0 boosts my FPS quite a bit. My map had a spot reaching down to 70 FPs - same exact spawn now gives 79 - I could really feel the difference. Good work optimizing :)
Zhadoom

Post by Zhadoom »

Hi Mr Graf!

Is there a way to deactivate reflection caused by sector_setplanereflection?
I noticed that on an NVIDIA card with OpenGL 3.3 sector_setplanereflection causes a crash in GZDoom 2.x if there is a dynamic light next to the reflective plane. In GZDoom 1.9 there is no light effect to the reflective plane. And everything works fine. In 2.x however, there is a light effect on the plane but it is broken and the game slows down significantly.
In contrast on an NVidia card with OpenGL 4.4 everything works fine.

Kind regards
zhd
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

Zhadoom wrote:Is there a way to deactivate reflection caused by sector_setplanereflection?
I noticed that on an NVIDIA card with OpenGL 3.3 sector_setplanereflection causes a crash in GZDoom 2.x if there is a dynamic light next to the reflective plane.
How can I reproduce the crash? It will be great if you can provide a small test WAD. No problem if you cannot, just post the steps that lead to a crash along with mods you are loading.
Zhadoom

Post by Zhadoom »

Hi _mental_!

Okay, the steps:

1. Create a UDMF map with a large sector, say 2048x2048.
2. Create a script which has sector_setplanereflection to the floor.
Up to here, everything is fine. The OpenGL3.card shows the reflective floor in all GZDoom versions.

3. Place a dynamic light above the floor, say 32 units z-height, so that the light would brighten up the floor.

Now, in GZDoom 1.9 the light does not brighten up the reflective floor. The floor stays reflective and has the light level of the sector. The OpenGL3.3 card does well.
In contrast, in GZDoon 2.x, the floor becomes brighter around the dynamic light. When run with the OpenGL 3.3 card, the region of the floor which is brightened up starts to flicker, when the player moves towards it. The game slows down, in worst case it slows so much down that it freezes.
In contrast, when run on an OpenGL4.4 card, GZDoom 2.x works absolutely stable and the light effect on the reflective floor is as one would expect it.

I just found that the slowdown also appears when I use the fogspawner found on Realm667 instead of a dynamic light.

Kind regards
zhd
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

What's the latest version you experienced this bug with. I know I have fixed an issue with reflective planes and lights a few months ago, but I'm not sure it's the same one.
Zhadoom

Post by Zhadoom »

Hi Mr Graf! :-)

The last one I tried was 2.2pre-1601.

Thanks a lot!
zhd
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

That one is two months old already. How about something more recent?
Zhadoom

Post by Zhadoom »

Hi Mr Graf!

Havn't yet tried a newer one, but I will for sure.

Kind regards
zhd
Zhadoom

Post by Zhadoom »

Hello Mr Graf!

Yes, well, it*s taken some time, but here I am again. :-)
I trief out 2.2pre-1846 and 2.2pre-1876. In both cases the GT315 slows down to nearly zero when appraoching towards a refelctive plane which is enlightened by a dynamic light. It*s not that you have to have it within your range of view, you just have to get close to it. In 2.2pre-1876 it is possible to quit the game while it is slow, earlier versions crashed.
The GT315 uses OpenGL3.3.
Again, both versions do just fine on a GTX750.
I suppose that the GT315 simply is underpowered to do the job. :-)

Ah, by the way, maybe you can cut me bug reports to a new thread if you want. ;-)

Greetings and thanks
zhd
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Does this happen with any reflective plane or just specific ones?
Zhadoom

Post by Zhadoom »

Hi Graf! :D

I use refelctiveness only on planes which are ment to be liquid, that is water and lava. This means, all reflective plane tested are animated ones.

Another question: Will there be more 1.10pre versions?

Kind regards
zhd
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Whether the texture is animated should not matter for reflections. Can you send me the map? I need to check it in order to see what is wrong here. Just one quick question: Does it slow down when you start on the GTX750 with the '-glversion 3' command line option?

And no, the 1.x branch has been discontinued since the low end fallback has been integrated into 2.x.
Doomy Dummie

Post by Doomy Dummie »

Greetings, just a simple question...

Is it going to be available soon the GZDoom 2.1.2 release? If positive, will it include some of the 2.2pre new features?

Thanks in advance.

Return to “News”