GZDoom 2.1.1 and 1.9.1 released

News about GZDoom.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: GZDoom 2.1.1 and 1.9.1 released

Post by Graf Zahl »

If your ambient sounds are all full volume in OpenAL you got stereo sounds there, which shouldn't really be done.
Camaxide

Post by Camaxide »

I know, if fmodex is broken and cant be used anymore - then I'd revert to OpenAl and solve the stereo sounds. But if I can still use fmodex I'd rather save the time for now. (eventually I should mono the files before release so others can pick the sound option they prefer) - but it still should be possible to use fmodex like before - unless it's updated to the newer versions that seem to have buffer problems
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

I wanted to propose to make FMODEx stream buffer size customizable via CVAR some time ago.
However at that moment Randi already committed adjustment of the size, so I though it was no longer relevant.
Now I think this would help us to solve this problem or at least to narrow it down.
Camaxide

Post by Camaxide »

If that is the key to the 'lags' that happen, then that would be nice. I don't know what's changed between the Fmodex versions - likely there are reasons its still being changed and updated, but I havent had any problems with the older versions or met any shortcomings (this does not mean there was none) - so I'm thinking why fix something that isnt broken ^_^
But since it still gets updated I'm sure it has reasons, but it seem this buffer-problem comes up now and then. And since many versions before has played with no trouble it should be well possible to do it still if one could set it up playing back the tracks the same way it did before. Not sure who knows how the fmodex works and who controlls it though - but somehow I like the fmodex alot when it works right :D
Camaxide

Post by Camaxide »

Hm, is it right that OpenAL cant do surround? I run my system on the home cinema and can't seem to get past stereo on the OpenAL?
akidd

Post by akidd »

OpenAL sound is very broken. I haven't tried GZDoom for quite a while on Windows. I just set up a new machine and installed 2.1.0 and it sounds like every sound is competing for a single channel. FModex wouldn't load but that appears fixed in 2.1.1

Try this (and lower the volume before you do) http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/d ... arter-pack
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's the known problem of handling stereo sounds with 3D positioning. OpenAL cannot do this and just plays the sound at full volume (which I consider a bug but apparently nobody will fix it, because it's an 'undefined situation'.

Post by Guest »

Thanks Graf.

There is also a very noticeable delay in sounds with the current build and Fmod EX support enabled.

Is this a bug or is there some setting I can try?
renkoha

Post by renkoha »

guys i downloaded gzdoom 1.9.1 13/03/2016 version found in this site and got this
Attachments
CrashReport.zip
(21.26 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

renkoha wrote:guys i downloaded gzdoom 1.9.1 13/03/2016 version found in this site and got this
Windows 10 with integrated Intel graphics, right? Unfortunately, a bug in Intel drivers prevents to use GZDoom executable directly. However there is a workaround.
Download this tool and run it from command line like wtfi.exe full\path\to\gzdoom.exe Hopefully you can run GZDoom after that.
Camaxide

Post by Camaxide »

The problem with fxmodex - is it the same problem there was with all the recent dev builds where they used an updated version? or is this a different problem than that one?
I'd really like to be able to keep using the fxmodex - as it performs wonderful over 5.1 surround. Had a good playthrough last weekend with many hours of gameplay on 2.1.0 - and no problems with neither music nor sound on the previous version =)
EoceneMiacid

Post by EoceneMiacid »

Running just fine on Linux here. Thanks Graf.
Camaxide

Post by Camaxide »

I've only found the problem to be with Flac, not Mp3 files - and some files chops more than others.
The lag is far less than what was in the Dev-builds which lagged every single second - now the bad cases lags once a 4-10 seconds - and on rare ocations once a second.
Here is a test-file with a track that happens to lag here.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B14nij ... sp=sharing

Just run it with the new version and start map01 - let it run for at least 20 seconds and you should have had a few hickups.
On 2.1.0 this does not happen :)
Camaxide

Post by Camaxide »

And I'm aware this is a zdoom-problem brought over to GZDoom Graf - so I've posted on their forum as well. Just wanting to point out the issue I have with the music.
Thanks for the new versions from me as well - appreciate the work :)
renkoha

Post by renkoha »

_mental_ wrote:
renkoha wrote:guys i downloaded gzdoom 1.9.1 13/03/2016 version found in this site and got this
Windows 10 with integrated Intel graphics, right? Unfortunately, a bug in Intel drivers prevents to use GZDoom executable directly. However there is a workaround.
Download this tool and run it from command line like wtfi.exe full\path\to\gzdoom.exe Hopefully you can run GZDoom after that.
hi man yes, windows 10 with intel hd integrated graphics card

i don't know if am doing it the right way but, i pressed windows key + r and put this there

C:\Users\Renkoha\Documents\wtfi.exe path C:\Users\Renkoha\Documents\programas david\Doom\gzdoom-bin-1-9-1\gzdoom.exe

i saw a window appear and disappear really fast, then tried to execute gzdoom afterwards and nothing, i still can't run it, is that window thing what should hapeen when you execute the tool? if not could you give more detailed instructions or post a screenshot?

Return to “News”