[g2.1.pre] Model Interpolation and RenderStyle Shaded broken

Bugs that have been resolved.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Revilution
Cybronik

[g2.1.pre] Model Interpolation and RenderStyle Shaded broken

Post by Revilution » Wed Sep 17, 2014 13:24

I downloaded the build versions of yesterday and now, of today (g2.1.pre-3-g92dcf2e) of GZDoom and in both i found a problem of them not having Model interpolations anymore, all 3D Models just acts if all of them have the NOINTERPOLATION flag in MODELDEF, also the RenderStyle Shaded in Actors seems to not work anymore as it does for Decals in walls, however, decals still works fine but this render does not do the same anymore for Actors which uses models with textures for that type of Render Style.

By rules of needing see the system specs of who are posting bugs here are mine:
-WinXP SP3 x86 (yes i'm still using it but next time i format my pc i'll get Win8)
-nVidia GeForce 8400GS (not the best and not even new)
-Intel Dual Core E5300 2.6GHz
-RAM DDR2 4GB (limited to 3GB due to 32-bit system)

Even with this specs i can confim i got around 10-20 fps boost with this new versions in my maps desired for OpenGL which makes abusive use of sectors and models at once to the engine render, but anyway i noticed this two issues when playing.
Powered By:

Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: [g2.1.pre] Model Interpolation and RenderStyle Shaded br

Post by Graf Zahl » Wed Sep 17, 2014 16:53

Do you have some demo WAD?

Revilution
Cybronik

Post by Revilution » Wed Sep 17, 2014 18:27

Alright then, this should take care about what i am saying.

In Blood models the issue with interpolation isn't so noticeable because it have many frames, but if you chasecam and see Doomguy model walking u can notice that the interpolation don't exists anymore.

EDIT: i noticed too, when exiting game, the engine delays around 30-40 seconds before close for real, meanwhile i can't do nothing other than move my mouse around, it completely locks my system.
Powered By:

Enjay
There is no dark side in the moon, really...
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay » Wed Sep 17, 2014 23:14

Revilution wrote:EDIT: i noticed too, when exiting game, the engine delays around 30-40 seconds before close for real, meanwhile i can't do nothing other than move my mouse around, it completely locks my system.
I noticed the quit delay too (not as long as that though). I assumed that GZD was clearing a cache or unloading something from memory when quitting. However, because it wasn't particularly long on my machine, I assumed that it was just kind of meant to be (i.e. probably some new function that caused an expected slight but not obtrusive (for me) delay).

Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl » Wed Sep 17, 2014 23:57

I suspect it's the deletion of the GPU buffers because that's the only thing that had been added.
On my system there is no noticable delay, though, so I never suspected anything fishy.

MAPET

Post by MAPET » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:16

I've noticed large fps drop, maybe 30-40% in large levels and during gibbing monsters. It's strange because previous [G1.9pre] branch of gzdoom runs smooth as butter (steady 60 fps). I am pretty sure that problem isn't connected with dynamic lights. I think that cause of that slowness is new opengl extension. I've tested on core 2 duo e6850, winxp/win7 and quadro 4600fx. I have been using different nvidia drivers. Please help.

MAPET

Post by MAPET » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:35

MAPET wrote:I've noticed large fps drop, maybe 30-40% in large levels and during gibbing monsters. It's strange because previous [G1.9pre] branch of gzdoom runs smooth as butter (steady 60 fps). I am pretty sure that problem isn't connected with dynamic lights. I think that cause of that slowness is new opengl extension. I've tested on core 2 duo e6850, winxp/win7 and quadro 4600fx. I have been using different nvidia drivers. Please help.
Ok, I've found a solution. I have changed workstation profile in nvidia control panel do game developer and sudden framerate drops disappeared. Somehow dynamic lights works a bit slower in this version, especially when there are many explosions on the scene.

Enjay
There is no dark side in the moon, really...
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:57

The only time that I have found gibbing a problem is when I type "kill monsters" to kill everything on a big map and I have a mod loaded that adds to the gibbing effects by spawning a whole bunch of meat chunks or whatever for each monster. However, that's simply due to the sudden massive increase in the number of actors moving around and is not specific to GZDoom. Gibbing a single monster normally, even with a gore mod loaded, doesn't cause me any noticeable problems at all with GZDoom (or ZDoom).

Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash » Thu Sep 18, 2014 18:05

Confirming that this no longer works for GZDoom 2.0.03. :/ :/ :/ I really need the alpha for my blood effects...

What it looked then VS what it looks like now:

Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:05

The renderstyle issue has been fixed, but since two bugs were reported here in one post I still cannot close it.

Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:57

Spoiler: Related to the delay thing discussion above

Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:48

2.x create a lot less shaders than 1.8 so it's quite obvious where this comes from. I also noticed that shader compilation can become quite a problem if there's too many.

Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:01

So I finally had some time to debug this - and what did I find? It was something as simple as just not setting the interpolation factor at all for the shader... :?

Return to “Closed Bugs”