What's the most important thing in doom maps!?

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.

What's the most important thing?

You may select 1 option

View results

Post by Alter »

Phobus wrote:If ever you make something that you've genuinely impressed yourself with, it might be time to make a series based on that concept. However, you have to keep it fresh, or it'll go wrong. Adding fresh ideas to part of a series of maps where things have a good theme can result in some of the best ideas and most memorable scenes/parts ever.
Clear example of this is xenus 2, first map impressed me so i started to make series of maps from it ^_^
Dutch Devil

Post by Dutch Devil »

Listen to music sure helps me with mapping too I think most mappers listen to music while mapping it somehow motivates me and mapping in silence is just plain boring ;)
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

True.

Post by Alter »

I'm confirming that music motivates a lot to map! ^_^ thanks now i make more sections than usually i'm doing per one day
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Well, I find that mapping with music makes the process less boring, but I also tend to get distracted and just start listening to the music and lyrics rather than thinking of new ideas for my map :laff:
Lord Mattus

Post by Lord Mattus »

I Voted Gameplay.
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

Gameplay and music are my votes.

Music helps because it really gives the feel for the level, it just doesn't feel right playing a level with completely out of place music. Gameplay also helps because if there isn't any cool traps or nice fights, then the map will be completely boring. It's also nice to stick a few secrets in there as well, take a break from fighting the monsters all the time, like throwing in a secret weapon or something that can help in the final battle of a level or stuff like that.
MasterOFDeath

Post by MasterOFDeath »

One time I tried playing Doom to completely odd song choices. Two that stuck out...

-Playing singleplayer to "Fever" from Dr. Mario
-(My favorite)Playing a deathmatch game to Aqua's "Barbie Girl"

Whats disturbing is that listening to Barbie Girl while playing DM was not only very slightly fitting, but it helped me play.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Something completely out of the ordinary always helps. Like Void (in general), or RTC-3057's more advanced puzzles and computer scripts. Think of something different, something new, and then implement it. Or just go "Wow, there's a cool idea!" when you're playing other games or watching films. In case you're wondering, Mario 64 held the inspiration for my slide :P
Da Snoop

Post by Da Snoop »

The most important thing about mod (single map or megawad) for me is that it doesn't remind me of Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Strife/Duke Nukem 3D/Shadow Warrior or other Doom-like game. If it does, it's boring.

Everything else is also important. Level structure, graphics, music, sound effects, scripting, story etc. One thing is a crap, whole mod is a crap. Sorry, but that's the way i see it. According to that very limited list of options, i voted for music, because nice music makes the immersion (Silent Hill for example).
Lioyd_Irving

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

Well, I can't choose because all three are essential for a good wad. Each one has its importance.

However, something too hard is as boring as something too easy.

A few examples :

-when I play DIETEST18.wad(Drown In Blood).
This wad was made for coop with the supergun mod. The singleplayer gameplay without it is just awful(i mean impossible). But the music rocked so much that I just couldn't give up.

-Sapphire is quite hard, and i'm not a veteran. The music did not rock so much. This time, it was the level design who made me stay.

Each of those three aspects are keys for the ambience of a WAD(and, generally, of a game) . The better they are, the more immersive is the game. That's the simple recipe of the greatest titles. I said simple - not easy.
Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson and Adolf Hitler all drank water. You criminal scum !
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

I vote for nothing, but I think all three are of same importance.

Gameplay: It shouldn't be running around and switch hunt without a clue or arenas with lame spawn-ins which take 4 minutes to beat and you only killed about 10 monsters. Rather it should be a bit more fast paced with much difference from each other. Spawn-ins are cool if you keep the player busy enough, but don't make him die quickly (balance between monster count and pick-ups is very important), or ambushes. Those are examples of what to do and what not to do, and what makes it fun IMO.

Detail: Maps which are only build out of square rooms are boring and won't catch anyones interest. There should be a lot of imagination used into the architecture, so shaped rooms 'll be created. But also, it shouldn't be overdetailed (GOTHICDM WAAAH) where you don't know where you are walking to. D= Good example for balanced detail is KDiZD IMO! (:

Music: Also, important like *WHOA*, music. Think of Sapphire with some heavy metal song, that would be a hella bad example which many, and I repeat, many mappers seem to do. It should fit into the theme of the map (back at detail :P).
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

1) Gameplay is the most important, but it's also the most subjective. Some people like fast-paced gameplay with tons of ammo to throw in the air, some people like to lurk in the shadows, and check out every single corner (like me). Nevertheless - if playing a map feels like shit, it's a bad map.

2) Music is the second thing I guess, but so is the whole atmosphere. Good music builds it, wrong - ruins. Simple? Not really. Getting a good music score for the map, to emphasize it's feel, is very difficult and should be noticed and praised much more often.

3) Detail. I'm thinking the typical detail, that does not add to the gameplay, but is placed well and does not take away either. The worst thing you can do - put detail that is not only out of place, but also cramps the level, and infuriates the player. So the most important thing about the detail is - let it be there, but don't spoil the fun.

But the poll could use a few more options. I'm connecting music to the atmosphere, but atmosphere is more than just music. It's the correct choice of textures, monsters (or lack of monsters) and even sounds.
Also in some maps (depending on what gameplay you're trying to achieve) the overall layout is crucial; Deathmatch maps for example.

Or the poll could stand for just three options:
look
feel
play
.+:icytux:+.
Stronghold Team

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

i dont know really :P

i think maybe gameplay is the most important...

like i wouldnt want to play trough Nuts.wad even if it had great detail and uber cool music.

but i would play a map with no detail but good music or gameplay or play a map with good detail and gameplay but sucky music (turn music off and put a nice track running while playyin)

but a perfect map should have them all...

when you have this yay feeling while playing and not omg not this again... and while you are shooting a hellknight you can just watch the detail and say wow at the same time, while the music should fit the atmosphere and give additional power to that Wow feeling :P
Remmirath

Post by Remmirath »

I voted for Detail, but a map, to be good, must have everything...
SoulPriestess wrote:Good job, Morpheus! You are teh awesum!

Return to “Off-Topic”