My new rig...

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
Soultaker

My new rig...

Post by Soultaker »

I just ordered my new computer which will arrive by November 2nd. The specs for it are listed below. Now I can play Edge 1.29RC#3 and GZDooM in all their glory. I am so looking forward to enjoying Cold Hard Cash.

Case ( [New !!!] Antec P180 ATX Mid-Tower Case w/420W Power Supply )
Power Supply ( Ultra X-Finity 600W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans - Blue w/LED Lights (ULT31312) )
Processor ( [939-pin] AMD® Athlon-64 X2 3800+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology )
Free Software/Game ( [NEW !!!] Free Game --- Bet On Soldier: Blood Sport Game with purchase of AMD-64 FX, X2 based systems or Mobile Turion notebook )
Motherboard ( Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce4-SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Dual Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, Dual PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 1024 MB [512MB X2] DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Corsair XMS w/ Heat Spreader )
Video Card ( [PCI-Express 16x] Nvidia Geforce 7800GT 256MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
Hard Drive ( 80 GB HARD DRIVE [S-ATA] Seagate 80 GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Hard Drive )
CD/DVD Drive ( 16x DVD-ROM Drive - Sony Silver )
Monitor ( LCD Monitor ViewSonic 17" VA712B TFT LCD Monitor [Response:8 ms; Color: Black] )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Silver )
Operation System ( MS Windows XP Professional Edition w/Service Pack-2 )
Case Round Cable ( Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower )
Power Protection ( Opti-UPS VS575C Battery Back-up UPS )
The HavoX

Post by The HavoX »

this list of components looks like they were taken from the iBUYPOWER system configurator

amirite?
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

Yep. 2K for the entire rig. A better deal than the more expensive places.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

All I want is the Radeon x850 and I'm good. My system is actually fine now but I just need some more graphics power for more modern games.
ellmo
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by ellmo »

I got lost years ago when it comes to video cards.
Is the ATI x series an equivalent to NVidia GT ?
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

I am in the same boat. I went Nvidia because ATI has lost their heads trying to compete with Nvidia. I now understand the Nvidia Series 10X better than the Radeon Series. My advice is if you wish to keep your sanity go Nvidia. The way they number and letter their cards actualy make it easier to know which is the most powerful or not. ATI on the other hand not only screwed up the number\letter technique but their cards suck at cross compatibility with games like DooM 3 and Call of Duty.
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Soultaker wrote:(...)their cards suck at cross compatibility with games like DooM 3 and Call of Duty.
didn't really notice. But I haven't played it on other cards...
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

Well, what is an NVidia card that will eat Doom 3 (and other games) for breakfast? If you say the Radeon is not good, I don't want to get it...
Nuxius

Post by Nuxius »

Open GL:
nVidia > ATI

DirectX:
ATI > nVidia

With that said, nVidia has taken steps to have their newer cards work better/faster with DirectX games, whereas ATI still stinks at OpenGL games.

Anyway, if you want to know more about Doom 3's performance on ATI and nVidia cards, here goes a link:

The Official DOOM 3 [H]ardware Guide (from HardOCP):
http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

Update: Okay so iBuypower ran a little late on building the rig but so what. I am not mad. The computer will probably arrive Monday the 7th. Just made it's way to the FedEx Facility in Phoenix, AZ which is about 5 hours away from Lake Havasu City, AZ. I am pissed though since the monitor and UPS are still in LA.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Oh come on, I had to wait 2 weeks to get my dual 21-inchers and they came from 200 miles away!

Note to anyone who thinks it's cheap to ship 2 21-inch monitors: IT'S NOT!
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

Heh. I got everything on the 8th. A day earlier than the expected arrival date. Oh yea for anyone who is wondering CoD 2 looks sweet as well as Half Life 2 Demo. Must find out why my full copy of HL2 will not work though. Damned Disc 1 screws up the entire computer until I take it out.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

If HL2 is already registered through Steam, you can try downloading it instead. It takes longer (took about an hour for my system, not counting HL2 Deathmatch and CS Source) but you do get to play the game again.
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

Sadly it is the disc itself that is screwed up. I tried registering it through Steam but it just screwed up Steam as well.
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Soultaker wrote:Sadly it is the disc itself that is screwed up. I tried registering it through Steam but it just screwed up Steam as well.
You are - of course - aware, that Steam does not keep registry files on your disk, but sends them to Steam/Valve. So reinstalling Steam and HL2 on your computer (no matter from what source - warez *cough*, friend's copy), and using it with your account you have registered shouldn't stand a problem.

Return to “Off-Topic”