+CLIENTALWAYS flag

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

+CLIENTALWAYS flag

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, in some cases I feel that A_SpawnItemEx and "+CLIENTSIDE" are both too limited and that's why I wanted to suggest a new flag called +CLIENTALWAYS for actors. What does it do? It always makes the actor clientside only, even its spawned items / child items are clientside. I thought of that while working on solarsnowfall's special effects that use a lot of A_SpawnItem's and A_CustomMissile's and I really don't want to start with converting all those commands in A_SpawnItemEx's (about 800) just for making the whole actor clientside. So a flag that already indicates, that the whole actor and subactors are clientside would help. Same goes for the weathereffects from UTNT, that spawn Rain projectiles, Snow projectils and Comets through ACS. Instead of making all of them actor based and totally change the acs-structure, simply adding the +CLIENTALWAYS flag would get rif of the lag- and desync problem without adding or changing too much of the code and actors. So please, make this happen :cry:
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

What's a client? (G)ZDoom isn't client-server.

Something that says "don't tell the other computers about it, it'll be our little secret" would be the closest equivalent.
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

Well, it's the cross-compatiblity to Skulltag... but as +CLIENTONLY and SPAWNITEMEX flag 128 are also supported, suggesting this here might make sense.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

As far as I know, unless this is changed for ZDoom, nothing is replicated to other computers except player movement, and some sort of status update (maybe position and stuff) so it can detect desynching. Monsters are 100% automated on everyone's computer.

This would be one of those skulltag-only things that you'd have to go to Skulltag about because nothing can be done about it here.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

1) Don't cross-post suggestions here and at zdoom.org.
2) As I already said, I can't do anything about it. This is strictly a Skulltag issue. All I could do was add the flag without functionality - but that's useless.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”