.FM models?

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Drake Raider
Location: knee deep in the dead, the shores of hell, and the inferno, respectively.

.FM models?

Post by Drake Raider »

self-explanitory, I was wondering if GZDooM could implement .fm models like in Heretic 2. .mdl support wouldn't be to bad, either.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I hate to play devil's advocate, but I think the first question Graf is gonna ask you is what's so special about these model formats that they can't be converted to .md2 or .md3?
Drake Raider
Location: knee deep in the dead, the shores of hell, and the inferno, respectively.

Post by Drake Raider »

I believe .fm supports non-animated movement. Clarification: In Heretic 2, a 3rd person game, when you aim up/down the torso and weapon of Corvus tilts to point at your target, but the feet remain planted on the ground. In .md2 (and .md3?) when you aim up/down the entire model tilts. I mentioned .mdl because they are so hard to convert.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

That's not a property of the model format but of the implementation.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

.md3 model feet remain planted on the ground, but mainly because .md3 models are split into parts and attachments. In Q3A, if you play in third person view, you'll see your characters legs remain stationary as he or she looks up or down.

Converting to .md3 would probably be most ideal, for your situation. If you're unable to achieve the planted feet effect, you're using the wrong converter.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

How about .mdl?
That's not a property of the model format but of the implementation.
Meaning?
Last edited by Drake Raider on Thu Oct 23, 2008 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Meaning that any model format can do that, provided that the engine implements it properly.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

Sooooo...
How about .mdl?
WolfyGirl

Post by WolfyGirl »

..... than Graf Zahl could import many other types of Models.
If Graf Zahl doesn't want to put it into his GZDoom program, than the feature request should be closed. :?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

If someone could provide me with decent specs, why not? But I'm certainly not trying to decipher the format myself.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”