ZDoom-like Doom fog?

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Nash
Developer
Developer

ZDoom-like Doom fog?

Post by Nash »

Hey Graf, I was wondering if it would be possible for you to add an additional Doom fog mode that mimicks ZDoom's fogging curve?

I don't know how to word this properly... you know how in ZDoom, the fog's curve is more... um, extreme? It's like everything becomes fullbright when you stand next to them.

Right now, GZDoom's Doom fog behaves more kinda like vanilla Doom's fog... but I kinda like ZDoom's fog. Especially for darker maps, ZDoom's fog is much better.

Also, I am aware of gl_light_ambient but unfortunately it's not the same.

Please consider this. Thanks. :D
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Vanilla's and ZDoom's fog is mostly the same. The only major difference is that in ZDoom you see more of the close range because you can look up and down.

But this looks awful in GL. I tried experimenting with different light values around the player and it does not look like fog but like a strong dynamic light emanating from the player. It only works in software due to the extreme banding.
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

From what I can tell, ZDoom is certainly doing it differently because when I stand next to a wall (this is without any mouselooking - in other words I'm looking straight), the wall appears fullbright, but this will not happen in vanilla.

Regarding how it looks in GL... hmm, you might be right. I can sort of imagine it being a strong dynamic light.

Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all? :/
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl wrote:Vanilla's and ZDoom's fog is mostly the same. The only major difference is that in ZDoom you see more of the close range because you can look up and down.
Graf, you might wanna reconsider that.
Attachments
Chocolate Doom
Chocolate Doom
DOOM00.gif (10.95 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
ZDoom
ZDoom
Screenshot_Doom_20090218_211957.png (15.15 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

There seems to be something off with ZDoom's method indeed. What's strange though is that I think that Chocolate Doom is even darker than PrBoom (and completely useless on my computer because it freezes for a second each time I pick up something...)
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Okay, how about this then... a cvar (or a slider in the OpenGL options menu) that lets a user specify the intensity of the Doom fog?
Chris

Post by Chris »

Graf Zahl wrote:There seems to be something off with ZDoom's method indeed.
I seem to remember a (mini-)discussion about that very thing a few years ago on the ZDoom forums. IIRC, Randy said it was intentional, or at least known but not a big deal.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”