[done][Feature suggestion/ does it exist] Customise AltHUD

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Enjay
Developer
Developer

[done][Feature suggestion/ does it exist] Customise AltHUD

Post by Enjay »

Are feature suggestions meant to be in bugs?

Is it/ would it be possible to define what appears in the althud? (or any hud for that matter)

eg1, I have a weapon (which replaces the Cleric mace) that is a kick using the tried and tested Duke Nukem boot. Obviously when this weapon is not actually being used, it's not visible on screen because the foot is doing something more important - being underneath the player as he runs. However, in the althud, you get shown the blank picture of the bobbing form (so it's invisible).

eg2, The icon that is shown for rockets (ROCKA0) has been modified in my mod because something else uses that graphic. If I could specify another graphic lump, it would be useful. (I know, I know, just change the mod.)

Some sort of hudcfg lump would be useful IMO.
chaoscentral

Post by chaoscentral »

Yea, I highly agree. Something like the this

e.x.

Code: Select all

weaponsection

Fist
Pistol
Shotgun
SuperShotgun
Chaingun
RocketLauncher
PlasmaRifle
BFG9000
Chainsaw

ammosection

Clip
Shells
RocketAmmo
Cells

keysection

RedKeycard
RedSkullkey
BlueKeycard
BlueSkluukey
YellowKeycard
YellowSkullkey
or something like that
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Another option I'd like to see - the ability to specifically exclude something from the HUD.

eg1, I have imported the Crusader robot from Strife into one of my Doom mods. To do this, I needed to add the missiles that it fires. I'm assuming that doing this was enough for Zdoom to think that I have the Strife missile launcher weapon available (I have not imported any of the weapon sprites but the weapon and the Crusader use the same projectile sprites and sounds). So, when I cheat (yeah, I know, it only happens when I cheat so meh!) I get 100/100 of an ammo that I can't and don't use.

eg2 I have imported the Hexen wraithverge weapon into a mod. When you pick it up, you get told that you "can't figure out how much ammo it holds". I have a script constantly running that monitors the ammo for it and when it gets to a low enough level, the player takes damage and a message comes up saying "the bow has been charged using your soul". This kind of looses some of its impact if the HUD tells you how much ammo it is holding. :(
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Done. The lump is called ALTHUDCF and assigns an optional icon to inventory items.

If you define such an icon it is used in place of the default and if you set it to '0' or 'NULL' nothing is being displayed so you can make any item vanish with it.

More complex handling is not necessary IMO. This doesn't affect the normal HUD though. That is strictly ZDoom's business.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Thank you. I look forward to trying it. :D
chaoscentral

Post by chaoscentral »

... i know im a bit stupid, but could we get some documentation or a basic example of what it would look like
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Clip AMMOA0
Shell SBOXA0
RocketAmmo BROKA0
Cell CELPA0

In short:

Itemname icon
Itemname icon
Itemname icon
Itemname icon

If you specify Health as item the medikit for the health display gets replaced.
chaoscentral

Post by chaoscentral »

so if i want to remove the original ones... would it be

Clip NULL
Shells NULL
RocketAmmo NULL...etc
then just add my own in with the same format but replacing null with the sprites?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Just replacing them is enough. You only have to use NULL when you want an item excluded from being displayed.
chaoscentral

Post by chaoscentral »

thats what i meant, if i was replacing the ammo all together, and not wanting the original ones to show up

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”