Interpolate Textures

Moderator: Graf Zahl

dark-slayer-201

Interpolate Textures

Post by dark-slayer-201 »

Can Interpolation be added to textures like in jdoom?
Just as a gl feature, well mabe sw aswell, just see how it goes
Last edited by dark-slayer-201 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Re: Interpolate Textures

Post by wildweasel »

What's the difference between interpolation and the current bilinear/trilinear filtering?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

He wants the animation interpolated.

Not impossible, but I don't see this being easy...
dark-slayer-201

i know it ain't very easy
but since it still can be done, i would like to see it done, instead of me continuing on making the textures fade between each other with photoshop and animdefs.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Look, just because you "want" to see it done doesn't mean it will be done. I know Graf pretty well, and let me tell you a pretty well-known fact about him:

If he doesn't consider it worth his time, it doesn't get done. Period.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Interpolated/blended animated textures can look very nice. timmie did it with ZdoomGL. However, he did it for all animated textures/flats and, IMO, it is certainly something that needs to be optional on a per-animation basis (via animdefs). Some things (mainly liquids) look really good "blending" but some other things (eg animated computers) can often look strange.
Tormentor667
Stronghold Team

Post by Tormentor667 »

Yeah, afaik, this interpolation thingie is also in the Doomsday engine and I always liked it. Making it optional though for certain textures via ANIMDEFS is the better way to go.
dark-slayer-201

i would like it on all textures, so it can also work on custom textures
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Naturally it would be available on all textures. What I would propose, if it was to be included, is a key word of some sort that can be used in ANIMDEFS. That way an end user/modder could use it on any texture/flat that he wanted to "interpolate" and not use it on textures/flats where the non-interpolated system was required. So, you could have a normally animated computer texture sitting next to a nice pool of blended nukage in the same WAD*. ie, the best of both worlds. :)

*I wish to point out that electronic equipment should not be placed near liquids unless it is specifically designed to be liquid tolerant. I cannot accept any liability for the damage to computers placed too near nukage pools and I do not recommend doing so. Any computer so placed is the responsibility of the person placing the computer. ;)
dark-slayer-201

Enjay wrote:Naturally it would be available on all textures. What I would propose, if it was to be included, is a key word of some sort that can be used in ANIMDEFS. That way an end user/modder could use it on any texture/flat that he wanted to "interpolate" and not use it on textures/flats where the non-interpolated system was required. So, you could have a normally animated computer texture sitting next to a nice pool of blended nukage in the same WAD*. ie, the best of both worlds. :)
ok, thanks
Enjay wrote: *I wish to point out that electronic equipment should not be placed near liquids unless it is specifically designed to be liquid tolerant. I cannot accept any liability for the damage to computers placed too near nukage pools and I do not recommend doing so. Any computer so placed is the responsibility of the person placing the computer. ;)
oops, too late, now laptop doesn't work...
dam nukage

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”