Smart sprite clipping finetuning

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Gez
Developer
Developer

Smart sprite clipping finetuning

Post by Gez »

While the "smart" setting for sprite clipping is often the best, there are a few actors on which it fails. A good example is SmallBloodPool, which is completely invisible in GZDoom unless sprite clipping is set to be always adjusted. I've thought that an alternate condition for smart adjustment could simply be based on the object's height, something very small -- say, less than ten units -- would qualify.

Now with this patch, tiny decorations like the blood pool show again, without having to set clipping to always; which doesn't look good for taller decorations such as lamps and trees.

That said, there might be better ways to address this issue. The best might be to use the sprite's own size: if, say, more than 1/4 of it would be hidden by the clipping, then adjust.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: Smart sprite clipping finetuning

Post by Gez »

I have created my own clipping setting with which I am rather satisfied, personally. Small actors no longer disappear entirely. For larger actors, the choice is no longer between blatantly hovering above the ground or blatantly being cut, since clipping for them is reduced rather than removed. Here's the status of my code at the moment, for reference. I might continue to tweak or adjust it slightly, if I notice some problems.
Attachments
clipping.zip
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Nice work. Your previous adjustment works very well. The dead trees in Hexen no longer seem to "rise" as the branches hit the ground. The final frame of a gibbed Ettin still clips about halfway halfway into the floor, and there's a noticable shift from the frame previous (which is adjusted nicely up from the floor.) It's not near as bad as it was before (75% or so). I haven't noticed anything else clipping that badly, (except the gibbed Centaurs, which are actually fine now,) so I expect this is the only sprite with so much of its area below the "base line".

I also haven't noticed any ceiling-hung sprites looking too terrible.
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

I mostly tested Doom (of course), Heretic and Strife, didn't look at Hexen much.

Mmh, pottery still clips too much.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Frozen Centaurs also still clip into the floor very badly.
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

Could there be a way to override whatever setting you have set this to for certain actors?

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”