GLDEFS to set actors' billboarding mode

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: GLDEFS to set actors' billboarding mode

Post by Enjay »

Salad Viking wrote:Ehh, I think you're figuring about it wrong. With no billboarding, a sprite would appear like a midtexture on a two-sided linedef, but I suppose it would also face the direction of the actor it appears on. Also, since it's flat and you can't see the sprite side-on, the only angles that could be useful are the front and back angles. A 16-rotation sprite would be pointless if you couldn't see the sides.
You could be right. However, that does highlight to me one thing that I had forgotten when making my comparison: the difference between the asterisk shaped arrangements of lines and a sprite is that the lines are all always visible but, even if you could see the different angles, the sprite would only show the angle that you are looking at and not all 16. There may be a use for having sprites like that but I can't really think of one ATM. It certainly doesn't seem like a very valuable aspect of this suggestion anyway.
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Hm if Z bill-boarding is for rolling and GZDoom can't roll, could I suggest a feature of rolling? The only reason I would request such a thing is because some parts of my mods would look better with it. I was thinking about making a mod with similar deaths that are in doom3 or GMod. View rolling would be nice but what I guess is that is could be a pain in the neck to implement.
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

oh and another thing, is a texture/flat an example of no billboarding or is it its own thing?
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

1. Learn2EditButton.
2. I can tell you right now that you're not going to see rolling in any form in the conceivable future, especially since it's impossible in ZDoom.
3. Sprites are billboarded. Textures and flats get applied to the geometry, and are completely unrelated to billboarding.
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Ok so rolling will be impossible (maybe for now) and texture are their own thing. Thats all I wanted to know.
Eventually or Never there could be a roll feature but of course that is going to take forever to even make and implement.
So I'm not really expecting a Roll feature or any new billboarding modes.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”