Dynamic Lights should not be affected by certain things.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

wtg62

Dynamic Lights should not be affected by certain things.

Post by wtg62 »

Hi. I'm just suggesting that dynamic lighting should be blocked better by single-sided lines.
Also Line_Horizon shouldn't change the lights. The lights are split up.
Because of this may I suggest a flag for linedefs that could determine if dynamic lighting is blocked or not?
Thanks, this would make GZDoom look more realistic.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: Dynamic Lights should not be affected by certain things.

Post by Graf Zahl »

Technically not possible.
wtg62

Post by wtg62 »

Maybe I should try something else to block dynamic lights. How come they can't be blocked? Is it rendering related? I hate how some lines don't block them while line_horizon splits it up. Maybe I should put hidden sector behind the horizons?
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

This issue has actually come up a few times and there have been explanations given (though I don't remember the details myself).

However, it is worth pointing out that a number of games have difficulty with clipping dynamic lights properly and it's not unusual to find lights bleeding through walls etc. eg a dark corridor with an unexplained pool of light in it because there is a street lamp out side the building on the other side of the wall.

It's also very common in other OpenGL doom ports where dynamic lights can often give away the location of a secret cupboard with lost souls in it or hidden powerups. In the grand scheme of things, I'd say that, although there are clearly difficulties with this, GZDoom does a pretty good job of it when compared against quite a few other games.
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

Evidently, light clipping in video games is complex and difficult to do. Since no one's finances rely on GZDoom, adding a feature like this isn't on the "to-do" list.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Enjay wrote:However, it is worth pointing out that a number of games have difficulty with clipping dynamic lights properly and it's not unusual to find lights bleeding through walls etc. eg a dark corridor with an unexplained pool of light in it because there is a street lamp out side the building on the other side of the wall.
Case in point:
Quake MP2 DoE Secrets wrote:In the room of the silver key, look straight ahead from the cage the key resides in. On the opposite wall a pool of light spills from a secret door. Shoot it and it will open.
Note that this doesn't happen in a Quake port like Dark Places that clips lights correctly, so you don't get to see the secret room's light glowing through the opaque wall.
Salad Viking

Post by Salad Viking »

Gez wrote:Note that this doesn't happen in a Quake port like Dark Places that clips lights correctly, so you don't get to see the secret room's light glowing through the opaque wall.
It's totally worth noting that DarkPlaces has the best lighting in any video game I've ever seen.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”