[0.9.11] Low process priority

Moderator: Graf Zahl

BFeely

[0.9.11] Low process priority

Post by BFeely »

GZDoom keeps setting its process priority to low. When I attempt to increase it with the task manager, it resets to low when I switch back to GZDoom.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The only thread that is supposed to run at low is the CD player thread. Does this create any problems during gameplay? Increasing a thread's priority normally doesn't give any performance advantage if the application runs at nearly 100% normally.
BFeely

Post by BFeely »

Occasionally I have a little choppiness (especially if something else is running) because of the low priority. Low priority means that the program waits for all other programs to finish their work before doing anything. Apparently, you used the wrong function for changing the thread priority and instead are changing the priority of the whole process.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Choppiness is to be expected if a program that needs full processing power is interrupted by something else. Does ZDoom have the same problems? I haven't changed any of the code involved.
BFeely

Post by BFeely »

I never noticed it in the regular ZDoom, but I never got past MAP03 of Super Sonic DOOM using that version, and only saw very slight choppiness when near those "recursive skybox" windows.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

The choppiness with the skybox windows is a rendering issue. There are a lot of skyboxes to render. Unfortunately with GL the overhead to set up one skybox is considerably higher than in software so the frame rate breaks down when you see them.
BFeely

Post by BFeely »

I know about the choppiness issue. I was just mentioning that in the original ZDoom it became a little choppy there. With GZDoom, I get random choppiness due to other processes interrupting GZDoom.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”