DeepSea wont load current level im working on

Need help with your project? Ask here.
Blakestone

DeepSea wont load current level im working on

Post by Blakestone »

Most of you probly use Doom Builder but I know and like DeepSea. The small problem im having is when I save a level im working on, after saving, it automatically loads the first level of Doom2. I have to open up the level im working on after every save and also after every time I test the map and exit out if it. This has never happened to me before. I tried to find it in the options menu but can't find the problem. Probley a simple fix but dont know what it is. If anybody has had this problem before or uses DeepSea please help. Thank you.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: DeepSea wont load current level im working on

Post by Gez »

This isn't a GZDoom topic so I'm moving it into editing help instead.

Enjay might be able to help you since IIRC he uses DeepSea too.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I do use DeePsea but this problem is a new one on me.

So, let me get this right:

You save a WAD with a level in it (presumably by hitting F2). Following the save, you are returned back to DeePsea but the map/WAD you were working on has been unloaded and the only resource loaded is DOOM2.WAD?

If that's the case, no, it's never happened to me. I've had a look through the options and tried to find something that might be responsible but I don't see anything obvious. When you save, I *think* DeePsea reloads everything as it returns you back to the edit screen. It seems that, somehow, your WAD is not getting reloaded with everything else.

Is there anything else I should know about what you are doing? Perhaps where you have installed DeePsea is unusual, or where you are saving the file? Is there anything else in the WAD that you are saving that might, somehow, be causing an odd conflict of some sort?

What happens if you just start with nothing loaded other than DOOM2.WAD, edit MAP01 somehow and then save the edited map using F2? Does your newly edited MAP01 stay loaded after the save process (ie I'm trying to find out if it is something specific to the WAD you are working on.) Does your map have an unusual map name/number? If you press the "close 1 file" button (or pick it from the file menu) is your file listed as being loaded even if it is not being shown to you in the editing screen?

I don't really see why any of the things I have suggested would be the case but I'm just throwing ideas out there just in case something helps somehow.
Blakestone

Post by Blakestone »

Like always thanks for getting back. DeePsea does reload to the edit screen. Thats when the map goes to the original or say regular Doom2 map. Lets say I save a map,the map saved under map 5, when I save my map or come back from testing my map it will show map 5 from Doom2, not my map. Ill I have to do is click open and open my map agian. Its not the biggest deal on the planet but its really annoying. I will try your suggestions and get back thanks. Also it doesn't matter what map i'm working on, it always goes back to a Doom2 map.
Blakestone

Post by Blakestone »

I still cannot figure this one out. Doesn't matter what level I play. After every save after every time I go in and test it loads to a original Doom2 level. I have never had this happen before.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Sorry, I'm getting a little unclear on exactly when this problem manifests.

If you are working on a map and then press F2 to save, does your map unload at that point (ie is that when the Doom2 map appears)?

Or is it related to when you test play the map?

Or is it both?
Blakestone

Post by Blakestone »

It is both
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Sorry, I'm really stumped by this. Unless there is an option somewhere that you have accidentally activated DeePSea shouldn't be doing this. Whenever I save, I am always returned to the editing screen with all the files that I have been using still loaded.

I know that it's a pain, but you might try uninstalling and then reinstalling.

What operating system and DeePsea version are you using (this has implications for the install process)?
Blakestone

Post by Blakestone »

Im stumped by this too. This have never happened to me ever and I've been using DeepSea for a long time. Im using Windows 7 professional and DeepSea version 12.13
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I'm on Windows 7 too (64 bit ultimate) and I'm using DeePsea 12.15.3 but I never had problems like this with 12.13 either. On Win XP I had DeePsea in c:\program Files\DeePsea but on Win7 I have had it in c:\DeepSea since I first started using Vista/7 because I have heard some people saying that some older programs can have problems in a Win7 protected Program Files directory (but I don't know if that actually applies to DeePsea).

Perhaps try deleting the file DEEP.CHK. The file DEEP.CHK holds a lot of information about the current state of what you are doing in DeePsea (including references to control files, IWAD locations, which PWADs are loaded etc). Removing it will reset all your preferences etc but it might solve the problem. DeePsea will create a new DEEP.CHK file when you run DeePSea again. If your copy of DeePsea is in Program Files, you might also try moving it out to c:\DeePsea.

You probably won't get the install program to work under Win7. Normally you can install from a zipped up version of the program. The DeePsea site provides that for the current version of DeePsea but not for older versions. I don't suppose there would be much point in zipping up your current install and then unzipping it as a new install because you'll probably zip up the problem along with it. It's a bit of a long shot but I don't know how many of the files have changed between ver 12.13 and the current version on the DeePsea site. It might be possible to grab the zip from the DeePsea site, unzip it somewhere and copy your own registered exe to that directory. That's a bit of a long shot.

Anyway, I'd try the DEEP.CHK file first to see if that helps.

You could always try contacting the author (Jack Vermeulen). He doesn't really have much to do with Doom these days and is not actively working on DeePsea but I did contact him a few months back and he helped me with some information relating to DeePsea.
Blakestone

Post by Blakestone »

Well your not going to believe this but now somehow magically it works. Went on to my computer today, loaded up DeepSea and now it works. Dont ask me man I have now idea why but I'll take it. Its one of those weird computer/software glitches that a person can't explain. My map pops up like it should after saving and after playing. Thanks for your help anyway.
Blakestone

Post by Blakestone »

By the way I wish Vermeulen would work on DeepSea again. He got back to me when I had a few problems. He's cool.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

:lol: Oh well, glad you got it sorted. Fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again.

Yes, I agree, it would be good if Jack went back to DeePsea. He didn't rule it out last time I spoke to him but it's definitely not a priority. There are a few minor glitches with the current version (I think Jack knows about all of them) and, of course, it doesn't support UDMF or ZIP/PK3 files for ZDoom. However, Jack wasn't seeing eye to eye with people when the UDMF specs were being drawn up and it's my impression that he has no real motivation to add it to DeePsea. I'm certainly not sitting here waiting for a version of DeePsea that supports UDMF anyway. However, it is the biggest feature on my DeePsea wanted list and it's the thing that has prompted me to try and familiarise myself with DB2 as an alternative. However, for everything else, I really like the way DeePsea does things and, so far, the attraction of UDMF hasn't been enough for me to discard my known and trusted editing environment for a different one.
Blakestone

Post by Blakestone »

I hope it doesn't happen again too. I'd like to ask the differences between the version of DeepSea I have 12.13 and your version. Probley just a few bug fixes maybe im guessing? Also what is UDMF? Is it something having to do with 3D editing? I dont know what else DB2 has over DeepSea really except that. And only because of the 3D editing with 3D floors.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

[wiki]UDMF[/wiki]
Last edited by Gez on Thu Aug 16, 2012 0:21, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Editing Help”