A retread AND a noob!

Need help with your project? Ask here.
LongForgotten

Re: A retread AND a noob!

Post by LongForgotten »

I know zdoom will use wads of various names(doom, doom2, strife, ect) but I didn't know what else to call it. It the name "doom2" copyrighted? Really? How can we say it then? lol
Just joking. I DO care about that kind of thing.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

ZDoom reads "freedoom2.wad" just fine.

Doom2.wad isn't forbidden to use. It's just confusing.
LongForgotten

Post by LongForgotten »

Alrighty, then. Ok, I'm learning how to use slade and DZBuilder, and keeping myself amused meanwhile by making face animations of the Grinch. Someone told me my animated gifs are amusing, so I made a do it yourself kit, or sorts.
Will I use all that in the game? Probably not. lol

...Um, were NOT goofing off...We're creating musical fusion!
LongForgotten

Post by LongForgotten »

Still at it.
I'm converting the artwork I've made into graphics in the DOOM palette, and I wish I had learned how to make custom palettes. Oh well. And, the font graphics I'm using in the HM doom mod are way too big. Is there a way to scale the menu down, or just the hud messages font?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

LongForgotten wrote:and I wish I had learned how to make custom palettes
If you are sticking to GZDoom, using palettes is not necessary. Simply import a 24-bit PNG file as a raw graphic, itself, and GZDoom will read it. The conversion will have no benefit.

As far as I know GZDoom will only read the first 768 bytes of PLAYPAL, anyway, so you can easily make a palette in Photoshop and export it, and import it as a raw PLAYPAL entry. The remaining PLAYPAL bytes are used in non-ZDoom source ports to fade the screen for item, radsuit, and berserk pickups and/or pain fades. ZDoom uses its own special system for palette fading now and will only use the base PLAYPAL entries to do it.
LongForgotten wrote:And, the font graphics I'm using in the HM doom mod are way too big. Is there a way to scale the menu down, or just the hud messages font?
I do not know of a way to scale them down directly, but if you can live with a fixed-width font, it's possible to simply throw a dummy graphic down as a font and use the hi-res texture system to replace the graphic with higher-resolution letters, allowing it to be smaller if the base graphic is small. Sorry if that's a little too vague, this is only a conceptual idea right now and I've never tried it myself.
LongForgotten

Post by LongForgotten »

Hm... I never checked any of my mods in various resolutions...But, nevermind that part. I'm still struggling with slade. I use to use cyan as a transparency color, but it just turns blue when I convert it. I'm confused. lol
LongForgotten

Post by LongForgotten »

Oh, and thank you.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Doom doesn't use a "cyan" color for transparency. That was fabricated entirely by earlier WAD tools such as DEUTEX, WINTEX and NWT.

Use transparent images to import your artwork with Slade3. Here's why.

(You're welcome, by the way)

As stated - save your work in transparent PNG format with no transparent "color" - just knock out the transparency with true transparency. It should work just fine, then.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

When you use SLADE 3 to convert an image, you can convert a color to transparency. You can even clock on the source preview image to choose the color from the clicked pixel.
LongForgotten

Post by LongForgotten »

I've been at this for over a decade..And I have no idea what I'm doing. Oh boy, and I thought I was good.

LOL

BUT, I am glad I'm getting back into mod making, and I hope to take what I learn here and go back and fix my old work.
GOBLIN was my best/worst effort. Anyone ever hear of it? No? How about my first team effort, Hellraiser DOOM? No?

He he. Oh well.
LongForgotten

Post by LongForgotten »

A stretching room painting.

http://postimg.org/image/3yz16qf8d/

LINK

It's not showing my image. lol
LongForgotten

Post by LongForgotten »

OK then...My images won't show, and my google drive account is frozen, and has been for days. Hmmm...
Can you interpret these signs, Broon Gilda? It is a true sign from god that I shouldn't proceed.
I will anyway.
NeoHippo

Post by NeoHippo »

LongForgotten wrote: It is a true sign from god that I shouldn't proceed.
I will anyway.
Anybody who steals Christmas should be punished!! :D :roll:
LongForgotten

Post by LongForgotten »

Was that rant over the top? My Google drive is letting me edit my own stuff again, but hey, I HAVE no collaborators, so it's no biggie either way, I suppose.lol
I also suppose this project will be an add on for a mod, which is confusing.. Oh well.
All in all, it's coming along well. I'll make my projected release date, for sure.

Anyone look at my papercraft archive? I'm a living treasure...A master at paper modeling.
Tremble, mere mortals.
:shock:
-NOTE-
-No, I am NOT an egomaniac. I was just joking. 8)
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

The DooM community is filled with egomaniacs. Heh

Return to “Editing Help”