MAPINFO Mystery

Need help with your project? Ask here.
Herculine

Re: MAPINFO Mystery

Post by Herculine »

I only see one copy of the .WAD... and I have Windows file explorer configured to show even hidden files. Neither SLADE nor ZDL (ZDoom Launcher) show any duplicates when I use their "open file" windows.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

That is strange - because in the copy you sent us, it has the old definitions. For whatever reason - your older versions of GZDoom can see the changes, but the newer ones can't.

Try starting both with +log logfile.txt - and paste both logs.
Herculine

Post by Herculine »

I've never used that parameter before. Does it save the file automatically, and where would I look for the generated log file?
Herculine

Post by Herculine »

Console says unknown command "log".
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Oops. +logfile - sorry.

It saves it in the same folder you ran GZDoom from.
Herculine

Post by Herculine »

Do I need to enter a console command while the game is running? I've entered "+logfile" in the extra command line arguments and started the game and loaded the map several times but can't find any generated log files in the GZDoom directories.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

you have to do it like this: "gzdoom -file x.wad y.wad z.pk3 etc +logfile log.txt"
Herculine

Post by Herculine »

Okay... got it. Apologies and thanks for the patience.

First is the log from the older version where it all works properly. Second is from the newer version where it does not.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nls8aym4wylxjw/1log.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yadfrvjx7vprb6b/2log.txt?dl=0
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

No worries, looking at it now, had to take a nap for a bit.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Alright. There is indeed a discrepancy, and it might be within the GZDoom code. Of course, both versions should load it properly no matter what but this is clearly not the case.

Code: Select all

<  adding C:/Program Files (x86)/DOOM/_WADS/DOOM2/_BLIND ALLEY.wad, 213 lumps
---
>  adding C:/Program Files (x86)/DOOM/_WADS/DOOM2/_BLIND ALLEY.wad, 314 lumps
(the < is pointing to your 2.1.1 log, the > is pointing to your 2.3.2 log)

One of these versions is loading it correct, but I am not sure which one. It's almost like one of them is loading erroneous data. And that seems to be the case with SLADE, too. I am not sure what application is bugged - the old version of GZDoom, the new one, or Slade itself. But I know it should not be doing this.

Even weirder still - I loaded this into a hex editor and there is only one copy of MAPINFO that I could see.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Another idea I just thought of - Try moving the entirety of those folders to your desktop instead of Program Files. It may be using VirtualStore (which may be the copy of the file you sent, as well) - causing all sorts of hairy mess if not handled properly. Virtualstore is what Windows uses on the Program Files folder if otherwise an access would be denied. In this case it should not be enabled - but it's possible that it might be. (Also, try starting GZDoom in both cases as an administrator to see if it changes anything)
Herculine

Post by Herculine »

I'll try that as well. That could explain why there seems to be a ghost of the previous .wad, if it's some sort of registry or memory problem, though I'm not sure I understand it.

Again thank you, and I'll let you know what I can unravel.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

You're welcome. If it is indeed that issue, it's possible to clear the virtualstore folder - but personally I'd just keep it out of there just to be on the safe side.
Herculine

Post by Herculine »

The problem appears to be SLADE and apparently Virtualstore (the latter of which I'll admit is new to me).

I moved the entirety of my Doom directory to a folder outside of Program Files, then started SLADE and, while it should then have been unable to find any files, in its history it still showed the .wads I had edited and even opened them, despite the fact that they should no longer be there. Apparently it is keeping some sort of a cache history. How GZDoom (or ZDL?) got confused by it, I'm still not sure, but this definitely seems to be the root of the problem.

I'll try reinstalling SLADE to a different folder as well. If the problem persists, at least now I have some sort of a handle on what is happening. For a while there I was beginning to think that I was either totally inept or my laptop was possessed by Imps. Now as it turns out, it seems to be Windows 10 gremlins instead.

Thanks again for your time, trouble and patience. GZDoom (and ZDoom, of course) are my favorite sourceports.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

No problem.

If you need to look at your virtualstore, press Win+R on your keyboard and paste the following command in:

Code: Select all

%localappdata%\virtualstore
Here you can see where all those "ghost" files come from and where they actually are put.

Return to “Editing Help”