[FOSS] Bootless Star

Want to give your project a release? Stick it here. (Note: This forum should be for released projects only, not for works in progress - use the Projects forum for that!)
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Re: [FOSS] Bootless Star

Post by Tiger »

I think I lied about the downsizing idea... But I am still learning about myself.

Anyways, Bootless Star 1.5 is currently in the works and this offers further stability, generalized improvements even over the most small stuff I have kinda neglected or forgotten about, and a fix in regards to a security vulnerability when setting up a password for 7Zip. Alas, the biggest drawback in this version is that now the program takes ~1 second to startup (maybe I am just very nitpicky?). This is due to some of the changes I made during reorganizing the compiler script.... This version might be released sometime next week?
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Good news everyone! I am ahead of schedule and Bootless Star 1.5 is now available!
NOTE: It is recommended to recreate a new user configuration as the Copy switches HAS changed!

In addition, the modules have been updated to be compatible with Bootless Star 1.5
  • Doom Builder 2
  • Doom Builder 64
  • GZDoom Builder

Code: Select all

Version 1.5 [revision 870]
==========================
--------------------------
31 May. 2014
----

* Bootless Star will attempt to check if the program has Administrative\Root access; modules can check the value with the identifier 'Detect_RootAccess'.  When true, the program has Administrative privileges.
* It is now possible for the user to execute multiple modules at once; modules (if enabled) can be executed in their own terminal window.  This can be helpful for:
    1) Multi-tasking
    2) Avoid buggy modules from crashing the parent fork
* The user can now specify which mass copying software they prefer.  However, modules can still overwrite the user's preference.
* If selecting Robocopy as the preferred mass copying software, the program will determine and prompt the user if:
    1) The program is not executed with enough privileges.
    2) If Robocopy could not be detected on the host system.
* Reorganized the settings [control panel] menus
* Revised the compiler; the program has been reorganized - but the overall structure has not changed.
* Fixed a potential security vulnerability when the user is defining a new 7Zip archive key.  The vars: STDIN and working variables were never cleared.
* The user can no longer enable 7Zip key when the key was never defined.
* Revised the compatibility check to be much tighter; the program now demands the %OS% value must be Windows_NT in order for the program to continue further with the execution, instead of MS_DOS that was used before and terminating the program if true.
* When managing the directory setup, undefined variables would not display properly -- An error string will take its place until the value has been declared.
* Revised a few borders that is printed on the screen.
* Reorganized the main menu.
* Modified separators used within the code
* The user now has the ability to customize the switches used in: COPY (intCMD), XCOPY, and ROBOCOPY.  Check the Variables.txt for a complete list of what identifiers are available.

I believe that this is feature complete and is generally - complete. Updates should now slow down to only bug fixes. I hope everyone enjoys the newer features and stability improvements :)
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

The DeLorean Beta 1 is now available for anyone to play around with it. There still needs a lot of polishing and backup's are not properly yet appending to user's 7Zip settings from the core, but the basic functionality works.

The DeLorean's focuses _HAS_ changed, compared to the previous versions of the program: Instead of mirroring and then compacting the data, the program will now compact the data immediately, and instead of backing up the root of the drive, the program will only care about the user's home directory. As such, the program will also no longer backup the system's registry anymore.

-DO NOT- use this program in any primary or mass use, as the DeLorean still needs work and is not yet considered stable.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Good news everyone! The DeLorean version 5 - is now released! This version contains a lot of improvements:
  • Actually backups and restores data
  • Improved foundation
  • Uses Bootless Star's environment
  • Actually works (compared to version 4)
  • Does NOT mirror the user's data and then compacts, instead - it just compacts immediately (compared to version 3.5 and version 4)

In addition, I am going to do a minor update release on the following modules: Doom Builder 2, Doom Builder 64, and GZDoom Builder. These updates are very minor and is merely based on stability and performance updates.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
r943 | tiger | 2014-06-05 02:37:13 -0500 (Thu, 05 Jun 2014) | 1 line

When drivers call the Operation_DriverLogFooter while the user is not logging, opt out of the function besides redirecting the output to NUL and wasting CPU cycles.
r942 | tiger | 2014-06-05 02:35:25 -0500 (Thu, 05 Jun 2014) | 1 line

The ResourceErrorSignal_DisplayError and ResourceErrorSignal_LogError where mixed up.
r924 | tiger | 2014-06-03 13:44:22 -0500 (Tue, 03 Jun 2014) | 1 line

Removed an unused chunk of code.  The intentions of this chunk (that was never completed) is already accomplished in the Explorer section.
r884 | tiger | 2014-06-01 19:16:04 -0500 (Sun, 01 Jun 2014) | 1 line

An 'ECHO.' would be printed on the screen when it should be a new line.
r873 | tiger | 2014-06-01 00:47:48 -0500 (Sun, 01 Jun 2014) | 1 line

Updated Prerequisites to Bootless Star 1.5

Side Note: I am finished with Batch programming! \o/
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

After using the DeLorean for my backups, I decided to add a few more features in the DeLorean v5.1:
  • It is now possible to change the location of the Backup, Restore, and Temp local directory to another destination. This will allow the user to be able to freely backup their settings in another filesystem that is dedicated for storage\system backups. HOWEVER, THIS WILL NOT MOVE ANY DATA TO A NEW LOCATION!
  • It is now possible for the user to decide on wither or not to exclude typical video directories from being backed up. Directories that will be excluded (if set to True): ~\Videos, ~\My Videos, ~\MyVideos, ~\Movies, ~\My Movies, ~\MyMovies.

In addition, a new extremely minor version of Bootless Star is also available. This update merely corrects a comment string that appears in the user configuration file.

Spoiler: SVN Changelog
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Another update, but these updates only addresses lack of external documentation issues. Modules now include a ReadMe (What is the purpose of these programs, etc), while the core has two texts file for clarifications.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Feature Request:

Low Priority:
High Demand: Parameters

Possible bugs (not confirmed):
7z MT switch is not properly evaluated from the core. Bootless Star does not run a check on how many processors (logical) that the host system has installed. Though to counter this, 7zip automatically adjusts this regardless of the variable setting.

EDIT
Strikethrough the parameters; I just don't have the motivation to do it anymore.
Last edited by Tiger on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:25, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

A new minor Bootless Star build [1.5.3] is now available:

Version 1.5.3 [revision 973]
==========================
--------------------------
7 October. 2014
----

* The program will now properly check to see if the host system has Multithreading capabilities available for 7Zip software.  If the program detects that the host system does now have the capability - the multithreading feature will be disabled, otherwise - it will be enabled.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

The sources codes are now available for anyone to make a branch of this project; the benefits of these files as opposed to the compiled versions: uncompiled, less overwhelming, and easier to read and manage.

I really don't have the motivation to keep going with this program, mainly because - I consider it complete for what I wanted. So now, anyone can make a branch of this project and add-on further improvements and modifications that the programmers desires (as long as it follows with the LegalCrap.txt).

Enjoy
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

[Bug - DeLorean Backup]
  • Add OneDrive & SkyDrive directories to the exclusion lists; when the contents exists as a partial datafile but not marked for 'offline', the OneDrive integration still displays that the file exists when it doesn't. This tricks 7Zip into compacting a datafile that is locked or doesn't exist in the same fashion as a regular local data file.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Tiger wrote:[Bug - DeLorean Backup]<br abp="674">
  • Add OneDrive & SkyDrive directories to the exclusion lists; when the contents exists as a partial datafile but not marked for 'offline', the OneDrive integration still displays that the file exists when it doesn't. This tricks 7Zip into compacting a datafile that is locked or doesn't exist in the same fashion as a regular local data file.
Fixed in 5.1.2
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Well, after several years of development, it has come to this - - this entire project is now closed. Meaning, I am now officially shutting down the project's SVN repository. I hope this software helped those out that used it, or those that are still continuing to use it.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Just a warning; I am going to shut down my webspace with Freewebs very soon, so the download links here may no longer work for awhile (or at all).
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I just uploaded the entire project into GitHub; now everyone is able to play around with the code in a sane manner - hopefully.
For those that are interested, you are free to fork the project and do some weird things if you wish or maybe see how crazy Batch shell scripting can get.

What Comes Included:
  • Core; Bootless Star
  • Doom Builder 2 compiler
  • Doom Builder 64 compiler
  • GZDoom Builder compiler
  • DeLorean Backup
>> https://github.com/SibTiger/BootlessStar
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I am rather late on the release note, but DeLorean 5.2 was is out.

Added Power State; now possible to enforce the host system to go into hibernation, suspend, or just shutdown the system after a successful operation.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier

Return to “Releases”