A moreso "wishful thinking" suggestion for GZDoom Builder.

Discuss the hosted development builds here.
[Home]

Moderator: Dev Builds Team

HellBlade64

A moreso "wishful thinking" suggestion for GZDoom Builder.

Post by HellBlade64 »

So some of you surely know what Doom64 EX is, if you don't... in a nutshell, Doom64 EX is a PC-Port of the N64 exclusive Doom 64, it was made by Sam Villareal and runs on his own engine called "Kex Engine". Anyways, he made a custom version of Doom Builder (aptly called Doom Builder 64). Needless to say, Doom64 EX is very good port of Doom 64, featuring a smooth 60 frames, and among other things, online multiplayer (it's still very WIP as far as I know). Though, I'm not sure I can say the same for DB64. It's not BAD by any means, just... well, sort of dated. I think it was built from a version of Doom Builder 1, that's my guess anyways, because I don't see the flats from the grid mode, only in 3D Mode can I see 'em.
So ANYWAYS, my question is, would it be possible to somehow implement Doom 64 map format compatibility into GZDoom Builder? I'd guess the answer might be "no" or "Yes, but it'd take some time."

Thanks for your time.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: A moreso "wishful thinking" suggestion for GZDoom Builder.

Post by Gez »

Well a few points.

GZDB is maintained by MaxED, who I don't remember seeing here. It's quite unlikely he'll ever see your suggestion.

Merging DB64 and GZDB is certainly possible, theoretically, but it's quite unlikely to happen. I don't believe MaxED is in any way interested in that, and he has already rejected various requests for adding features specific to non-GZDoom ports.

Finally, DB64 is based on DB2 (just like GZDB), not DB1.
HellBlade64

Post by HellBlade64 »

Gez wrote:Well a few points.

GZDB is maintained by MaxED, who I don't remember seeing here. It's quite unlikely he'll ever see your suggestion.

Merging DB64 and GZDB is certainly possible, theoretically, but it's quite unlikely to happen. I don't believe MaxED is in any way interested in that, and he has already rejected various requests for adding features specific to non-GZDoom ports.
Alright, I appreciate you letting me know. :)
Finally, DB64 is based on DB2 (just like GZDB), not DB1.
You sure? DB2 has flats visible from 2D-Mode, if DB64 was based off of DB2, wouldn't that have carried over aswell?
Edit: Ah, I see there's an option under Preferences to show the flats, but it doesn't work. D'oh!
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

To be honest, I don't really think that it makes much sense to saddle the editor with this. D64EX's format is just too different to be handled seamlessly in the same editor without adding a lot of work.
Doom 64 is rather niche, it'd be work catering to a relatively sma´ll group of users that'd take time away from the stuff that's important to the majority.

Return to “Development Builds”