Armory Resource WAD

Here you can chat about the Doom Armory itself, weapon mods, and whatever else that might be related somehow. [Home]

Moderator: wildweasel

wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Armory Resource WAD

Post by wildweasel »

Alright guys, since the last weapons resource wad has pretty much degenerated into a big pile of crappy weapons, judges that (quite rightfully) haven't bothered to rate submitted weapons, and a leader that has apparently lost patience with the whole thing, I've taken it upon myself to sponsor and head up the creation of a NEW resource wad.

Here's the skinny:
  • The Purpose of the Armory Resource Wad
  • The main goal of the project is to create a comprehensive collection of Decorate weapons for ZDoom/GZDoom modders to import for their own maps. This is much the same as the last project.
  • A secondary goal for the Armory Resource Wad is to provide reference material for those who are learning to use Decorate weapons. While advanced weapons are encouraged, I also strongly recommend that submitters place comments in the more complicated portions of code to explain what they do.

The Submission Guidelines
  • Most importantly, weapons must be fully functional - incomplete weapons will not be added to the resource file.
  • Your weapon ought to come with appropriate sprite graphics. Ripped graphics are accepted, but only marginally okay (just don't rip anything we've seen hundreds of thousands of times before without modifications or your entry will be immediately rejected).
  • Try and be original. We don't need 100 sub-machine guns. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't submit your sub-machine gun, even if it's really good - I only suggest that weapon makers come up with more interesting concepts that haven't already been submitted.
  • Special effects are okay, but don't replace any existing Doom actors in the process (bullet puffs, blood splatters, monsters, etc). This is a weapons resource, not a full-fledged weapon mod.
  • The weapon ought to be balanced for regular gameplay - I will not accept overpowered weapons, nor will I add weapons that do very little damage with no discernable benefits.
  • This is mainly common sense, but please take your weapon seriously. Joke weapons and silly things won't be added to the wad file.
  • I will be using the Power Level system from the last wad. I will choose an appropriate power level for each weapon, though authors are free to suggest one upon submitting.
    Power Level 1: Starting weapon quality. About on par with the Pistol or Fist.
    Power Level 2: Secondary weapons, such as the Shotgun or Chainsaw.
    Power Level 3: Heavier weapons like the Chaingun or Plasma Rifle.
    Power Level 4: Rocket Launchers or other powerful weapons.
    Power Level 5: Ultimate Weapon caliber. All your Wraithverges, BFG's, and IWBG's go here (WITHIN REASON).
    Power Level 0: Weapons that aren't weapons at all (grappling hooks, repulsion blasts, flashbombs, etc) and aren't directly related to killing enemies.
  • Weapons can support any number of additional features - reloading, alternate fire, and whatever else you guys can come up with. I will be dividing them up into two sections: Doom-Like (no reloading or alt-fire) and Special (any of the above).

Addendum 1-and-a-half: 7/31/2006
  • You do not need to assign an editor number to your weapon and/or ammo pickups. I will be using my own selection of editor numbers (2100-2999). (Thanks, Graf)

Addendum 2: 8/2/2006
  • Revised the "ripped graphics" statement in the submission guidelines, in light of Lord Mattus' rejected submissions using ICD-SE graphics.

Addendum 3: 8/7/2006
  • When assigning your weapons to specific keys, put them on keys 8, 9, or 0 in the interests of usability. Don't worry about clutter - I'll assign the weapons to their own keys when the whole thing is compiled.

Other Stuff I Expect From You Guys
  • No "unofficial" reviews. It just clutters up the thread. I'm the only one that'll be approving and disapproving the weapons this time around.
  • Don't apply to be a judge. There are no judges.
  • Don't post in the thread just to ask when the next version will be released. I will get around to it whenever I have time. I have a job and a life to tend to and can't be bothered to maintain the wad 24 hours a day.
DECORATE Items That Are Already In The Wad:
Please use these if you're coding weapons that use DoomRater's reload system, or need a dummy alert function.

Code: Select all

ACTOR CheapAlert //used to alert monsters
{
   Health 1000
   Radius 1
   Height 1
   Speed  0
   Damage 0
   Mass	  1

PROJECTILE
   States
   {
      Spawn:
      Death:
      NULL AA 1 A_AlertMonsters
      Stop
   }
}

ACTOR IsReloading : Inventory //Dummy reloading item
{
	Inventory.MaxAmount 1
}
ACTOR Action_Reload : CustomInventory
{
   Inventory.Amount 1
   Inventory.MaxAmount 1
   -INVBAR

States
   {
       Use:
       TNT1 A 0 A_GiveInventory("IsReloading",1)
       Fail
   }
}

ACTOR Action_ReloadCancel : CustomInventory
{
   Inventory.Amount 1
   Inventory.MaxAmount 1
   -INVBAR

States
   {
       Use:
       TNT1 A 0 A_TakeInventory("IsReloading",1)
       Fail
   }
}
KEYCONF Items Already In The Wad:

addkeysection "Armory Resource Wad" arwkeys                    
addmenukey "Reload" +arw_reload                    
alias +arw_reload "use Action_Reload"
alias -arw_reload "use Action_ReloadCancel"
defaultbind r +arw_reload
Current ARW Blacklist
(List of people whose weapons are rejected on sight)
  • Currently none
That all having been laid out...submit away!
Last edited by wildweasel on Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:47, edited 8 times in total.

Post by Alter »

Wow.... finally new weapon resource wad :)
I will submit here my AR rifle from never completed eye of the storm :)

EDIT:Weapon submitted! yeah it's first weapon here submitted :)
http://www.mooload.com/new/file.php?fil ... Rrifle.rar

I think it's balanced :) but the judges will rate this weapon

EDIT 2:Credit to marty kirra for his AR sprites + reloading
Paul

Post by Paul »

By posting the link in the zdoom forums you'll lure Lord Mattus and his ilk to crappise this WRW as well, unless your constant judgement of weapons keeps up the justice.

As a token of apologe for this offtopic, misplaced in universe post, I'll submit some weapon graphics later today to the appropriate subforum.
DoomRater

Re: Armory Resource WAD

Post by DoomRater »

wildweasel wrote:
  • A secondary goal for the Armory Resource Wad is to provide reference material for those who are learning to use Decorate weapons. While advanced weapons are encouraged, I also strongly recommend that submitters place comments in the more complicated portions of code to explain what they do.
  • Try and be original. We don't need 100 sub-machine guns. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't submit your sub-machine gun, even if it's really good - I only suggest that weapon makers come up with more interesting concepts that haven't already been submitted.
  • The weapon ought to be balanced for regular gameplay - I will not accept overpowered weapons, nor will I add weapons that do very little damage with no discernable benefits.
  • This is mainly common sense, but please take your weapon seriously. Joke weapons and silly things won't be added to the wad file.
    Power Level 0: Weapons that aren't weapons at all (grappling hooks, repulsion blasts, flashbombs, etc) and aren't directly related to killing enemies.
  • Weapons can support any number of additional features - reloading, alternate fire, and whatever else you guys can come up with. I will be dividing them up into two sections: Doom-Like (no reloading or alt-fire) and Special (any of the above).
I'm liking these guidelines already. Though I may have to go comment my code a bit, I'll have submissions up by the end of the day.I has some weapons I originally built that were extremely simplistic but they had interesting effects, so I'll likely submit a few of those here too.

You should also have a category for weapons that break deathmatch- as someone might want weaponry for such a purpose.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Fire:
    MARF A 2 A_FireBullets (3.3, 0, 1, 6, "BulletPuff")
    MARF B 2 A_Light0
    MARF A 0 A_GiveInventory("Assaultreload",1)
    MARF A 0 A_JumpIfInventory("Assaultreload",30,1)
    goto Ready
Syntax is incorrect- A_FireBullets does NOT take decimal values. They must be integers. As a result the weapon has no spread. I'm calling this one borked until it's changed.

Post by Alter »

I will fix it soon... i'm missing two dummy items
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Not only is the weapon too accurate due to the aforementioned glitch, your "reloading" system doesn't even work. I'm sorry, but you're going to have to do better if you want this in the wad.

Post by Alter »

Sorry wildweasel but i forgot about dummy item and i'm trying to fix the accuracy but spread doesn't work!
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

To make DoomRater's analysis a bit more obvious (if you don't understand the difference between decimals and integers), you need to change 3.3 to just 3.

Post by Alter »

MARF A 2 A_FireBullets (3, 0, 1, 6, "BulletPuff")
Spread still doesn't work how to fix it?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

You need to put an A_Refire at the end of the firing state, or if you don't want the weapon to ever fire an accurate shot, change the number of bullets from 1 to -1.

Oh, and your pickup message still says "You got the chaingun!"

Post by Alter »

Sorry for my stupidness on decorate :)
Thanks wildweasel
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

Here's my submission! The Healing Hands!
Attachments
healinghands.zip
The power of healing
(32.75 KiB) Downloaded 652 times
chaoscentral

Post by chaoscentral »

Well, I figured I might as well fix up my only weapon in the WRW, and submit it here and see if its good enough. Keep in mind though, I made this one for GZDoom, as it uses Alpha PNGs(I wanted a nicer blue color this time) and here is the description

[spoiler]

Name: Monster Spawner
Max Ammo Capacity: 50 (100 for backpack)
Power Level: Level 0
Brief Description: With this weapon, it can be used to strategically place monsters on the field. With its Primary attack spawning a weaker creature, you won't deal alot of damage. But, with its Secondary Attack, you can summon a much more powerful creature resulting in more damage. The stronger monsters come at a price of using 10 times more ammo then the weaker ones. But 1 stronger can equal 10 on the battlefield.
[/spoiler]
Attachments
MonsterSpawner.zip
Behold the mighty Monster Spawner(GZDoom required)
(55.68 KiB) Downloaded 896 times
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Healing Hands:
Genuinely useful little thing, though the animation is quite buggy (doesn't even use the third frame), the muzzle flash has no Stop command (pasting the weapon's pickup icon in the upper left part of the screen) and, for some strange reason, I could not get it to select without typing "use healinghands" on the console. If you could repair these, then I will re-evaluate it.

Monster Spawner:
Seems to work as advertised, is generally useful, and as such is the first weapon to be accepted into the ARW.

Return to “Doom Armory”