Links

Here you can chat about the Doom Armory itself, weapon mods, and whatever else that might be related somehow. [Home]

Moderator: wildweasel

wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Links

Post by wildweasel »

Doomworld - The #1 source for everything Doom-related. Features news on Classic Doom, Doom source-ports, and Doom 3, message boards, the /newstuff Chronicles, and the hell that is the Doom comic.
NewDoom - The other source for everything Doom-related. They don't seem as popular as Doomworld from my experience, but they host a few major hotspots like Legacy, SCUDD, and other things.
PlanetDOOM - Hosted by the GameSpy network, this site largely deals with Doom 3 stuff, but it's still a good resource.

Friends of the Armory
TheDarkArchon's Haunt - Home of TheDarkArchon's mod journal, and his various mods.
Bio's Site-Place - BioHazard makes utilities. Lots of them. Some of them are really awesome. Others...well, you be the judge.

Source Ports
ZDoom - My favorite Doom source-port, maintained by Randy Heit. ZDoom's website allows you to get the latest version of ZDoom, visit their forums, and look at the Wiki documentation among other things. On another note, ZDoom is currently one of the only three ports that supports Strife. Currently at version 2.1.7, which has full Strife support and Decorate weapons, among several other new features.
GZDoom - The new revolution in unofficial ZDoom versions, this one takes the latest ZDoom build and adds a brand new GL renderer with full mouselook, support for 3D floors (with slopes even), ZDoomGL's dynamic lights, a new HUD, and it will also play several Doom Legacy maps right out of the box (also EDGE and Vavoom maps with a bit of tinkering and porting).
EDGE - My other favorite Doom source-port, if for nothing else than the ease of editing and the wide variety of effects available. You can change pretty much everything about Doom - some people have done some pretty incredible things with this port. Just look at anything by Marc Pullen (QDOOM), Immoral Conduct, and Doom 2.5. Right now it's at version 1.29 RC5.
SkullTag - A multiplayer source port that supports in-game joining, has a few extra hard-coded weapons (Minigun, grenade launcher, BFG 10K) and monsters, and is currently based on ZDoom 2.1.7. It does have singleplayer support, but people seem to use it more often for online matches (and rightfully so - it's a very stable codebase).
ZDaemon - Another ZDoom-based multiplayer port that, despite the obvious technical downfalls of it being based on ZDoom 1.23, seems to be more popular than SkullTag. They claim to be working on a version that's upgraded to the latest version of ZDoom, but I haven't seen anything done yet.
Doom Legacy - I really don't like this port myself, but there are some features (ie. in-game joining, GL rendering, split-screen multiplayer) that some people like about it. Personally, you'd be better off sticking with ZDoom in my opinion (or better yet, GZDoom, because it supports nearly every Legacy map out there - and if it doesn't, you can report the bugs to Graf Zahl).
Eternity Engine - A formidable BOOM-compatible engine maintained by Quasar, with full support for MBF and SMMU extentions, plus a very powerful EDF language. Two weapon mods have been released in EDF already (the SWAD series), but they seem to not work in later versions of the engine due to changes in the EDF format.
Doomsday HQ - Home of the Doomsday engine, which supports Doom, Heretic, and Hexen with some of the best-looking GL graphics around. Just make sure you have a powerful computer. This one runs the DED system, which can define nearly anything about the game, but I haven't seen much (weapons-wise) done with it aside from simple model replacements for the weapon graphics (and Abbs' pack, but I can't find working links to it anymore).
Risen3D - I haven't tried it at all, but apparently it's based on Doomsday and features the most robust Boom compatibility in any GL port (aside from GLBoom). It also supports Abbs' Alternate Weapons Pack, though I haven't tried it because I can't find a working link anymore. The author tends to remain in hiding, not bothering to submit news about new versions or post progress reports on upcoming versions. I've heard from a few sources (notably RandomLag) that this is THE port to run Boom maps in if you want GL support. Also, look around for Sitters' maps, which although they don't modify the weapons, are excellent examples in Doom architecture. Apparently, this is also a closed-source Doom port, much to the disappointment of parties like Graf Zahl (who, to my knowledge, would love to see how Risen3D handles the old-school Doom rendering tricks in GL).

Weapon Modding Resources
Enjay's Little Place of Doom - Home of Nigel "N. J." Rowand, the Doom-hacking Scotsman. He has a top-notch tutorial for DeHackEd, plus several resources relating to DEH hacking including the BEX specification and its ZDoom extensions. Also the home to the infamous "Aspects" TC, which Enjay refuses to release because it contains illegal maps.
Scuba Steve's Weapons Emporium - A great source for free weapons sprites, and tutorials. You've probably seen Scuba Steve's work before, whether it be in the various weapon mods here, or in his very own "Action DOOM" total conversion (which the weapons are really cool).
FirstGen TC Home Page - It's primarily a site for Lobo's Robotech-based total conversion for EDGE, but the site also contains the very latest versions of the DDF and RTS documentation (up to date as of 1.29 RC3) as well as plenty of tutorials specific to EDGE (including how to implement PNG's with different palettes from Doom's). This is also the home to ESL, the EDGE Shell Launcher.

Utilities Worth A Mention
Audacity - A free, open-source, multi-platform sound editor that, while a bit on the slow side, and a tad difficult to adjust to, supports many formats and effects and is good for the sound designer that can't afford Adobe Audition.
GraphicsGale - A graphics editing program that resembles Photoshop and PSP more than Gimp. Ignore the Purchase link - buying the program only enables more file formats like GIF, ANI, and CUR - and there's always IrfanView for those.
GIMP For Windows - A Win32 port of the popular GNU Image Manipulation Program. Excellent alternative to Photoshop, Paint Shop, and the like.
IrfanView - A free image viewer/convertor that's fast and performs lots of functions. I highly recommend using this thing to convert your screenshots.
eXtendable WAD Editor - Csabo's awesome WAD manipulator that is growing in popularity, and is second to none in compatible formats. Not many bugs left in it, either. You can use this to extract from pretty much any 3D shooter made between 1992 and 1999 (including a few games made even later).
Jed's Half-Life Model Viewer - I've been told that this viewer makes ripping a breeze. It also supports the newer features added by Steam versions of HL (like additive transparency).
Deepsea - I've come to notice that some people actually use this for their lump management as well as their map editing (lump management is free in the shareware version, but mapping is limited unless you register). NOTE: I do not support the usage of Deepsea. I cannot answer technical questions relating to the execution and usage of Deepsea, as I cannot be bothered to install the thing or register it.
Hex Color Maker - Helps when specifying hexadecimal color codes for dynamic lights, for ports like Edge or GZDoom.

Weasel's Other Pages
Weasel Presents: Blaugh! (A Blog) - A journal detailing the progress in Weasel's Great Life Journey. No longer contains posts written by fictional characters, because it was a crappy gimmick anyway.
TheWeaselMan at deviantART - Long since deprecated. I never update the page anymore, but if you want to see my really ancient artworks, go ahead. I warn you, though, that it's not that high quality.

More links will come when I find some that are worthy of the post.
Got a link for me? Send away!

In the meantime, if you want to link to the Armory, I've got a few banner buttons in the works - like this one (512x96, 24 bit PNG):
Last edited by wildweasel on Mon Jun 04, 2007 18:25, edited 10 times in total.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

And bump - a couple of links added (notably, GZDoom) and a description or two changed (Risen3D).
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Update Skulltag's description: It's based off 2.0.63a.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Done.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Added/updated several links. Also added a link to Deepsea, just in case somebody actually wants to use it.
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

Ugh. I wonder how many people have drowned using DeepSea. I want to shoot the asshole that came up with the name for DeepSea. DooM Builder makes perfect sense. DeepSea er uh it is waiting for a whole slew of really bad jokes sorta like mine.
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

wildweasel wrote:Added/updated several links. Also added a link to Deepsea, just in case somebody actually wants to use it.
HEY! Deepsea is my editor of choice because of how convienent and less crash causing it is compared to DB :P
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Updated with The Writers' Guild and a couple changed descriptions.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Post requesting my site to be linked :)
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Made some changes, added the Friends of Doom Armory section, and removed some outdated links (the Writers' Guild is no more).
Jive

Post by Jive »

Codeimp - Doom Builder

The latest version is absolutely awesome, particulary since the implementation of a view of the sprites during your 3D cession.

I use DB since several years and apart exceptions, I never had to suffer of bad events.
To build / Debug a map is now is real pleasure and an amazing moment.
Awesome!

This guy (Pascal Heiden aka Codeimp) is a pure genius!!!
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Unfortunately, since DB is specifically a map editor and has no features that are beneficial to the weapon modding community, I won't post a link to it here.

Return to “Doom Armory”