New version of Lock and Load 4

Here you can chat about the Doom Armory itself, weapon mods, and whatever else that might be related somehow. [Home]

Moderator: wildweasel

pilottobombadier

New version of Lock and Load 4

Post by pilottobombadier »

Yes, that's right, I more or less remade the 4th one. It's the third version of it (3rd time really is the charm, as they say).

It can be found at my website - which I did update very recently (as in 20 minutes ago), at http://www.geocities.com/pilottobombadier

It's for EDGE 1.28a. Yes, I realise there is a newer version of EDGE, but I won't be upgrading EDGE versions until I actually upgrade Lock and Load versions. Lock and Load 5, when I decide to do it, will be on 1.29 or whatever the most recent version is at the time I decide to make it. 4 will not.

Anyway, read the news, then have it.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

There's much you can take advantage of in 1.29, but as long as your mod is compatible with the latest version, that's all that matters.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Could you upload this onto hyper upload please?
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

It's just shy of being too big to attach here, sadly.

I hate to be brutally honest, but I don't think this mod is very good. I can tell you put a lot of work into it, but it's rather plain and generic. With a few more tweaks to the animation, graphics, sound and behavior you could have an even better mod.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

By hyperupload, I didn't mean here.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I know what you meant, but it's not very big. Here it is:

http://hyperupload.com/download/0290422 ... C.zip.html
pilottobombadier

Chronoteeth wrote:Could you upload this onto hyper upload please?
No, I'd rather torture you, actually ;)
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Alright, I've played around with this a while and here are my current impressions...(I played using 1.29 RC4)

- I notice the default Doom pistol and fist are still available to select. Rename your knife and the battle rifle to FIST and PISTOL so this doesn't happen, or use #CLEAR_ALL (or was it #CLEARALL?) at the top of your weapons.ddf.
- The standards of weapon mods seem to have increased a bit since the last time you released an LNL mod, which means that this one appears somewhat dated by comparison. This is most obvious in the reloading animations. They seem choppy and half-hearted. You can accomplish the same Goldeneye-style reloading effect with a bit more finesse by copying some of the reload frames and just offsetting them more subtly. This will at least make the animation appear more smooth.
- Also regarding reloading animations, making the weapon move in a straight line down and up makes the animation appear robotic and unnatural. As the weapon moves down, try also offsetting it to the right by a single pixel for each frame. At the farthest point of the animation (when the weapon is as far down as it'll get), add a couple more frames and shift the weapon a few pixels in a random direction for each of them, then raise the weapon back up. The gun isn't going to hold perfectly still as you insert the clip - not unless you're holding it in a vice-grip.
- I love the unique deaths for some of the weapons, the Pulse Rifle in particular.
- Your choice of sounds for the weapons seems a bit strange in places (the battle rifle's firing sound seems more like a magnum type weapon than a rifle). If you need more weapon sounds, try downloading mods for Half-Life or Quake 3, or consulting http://www.fpsbanana.com and downloading some of their sound replacement packs for Counter-Strike or Day of Defeat. Or, I could create a "patch" wad that changes all the sounds, which I would then donate to you to merge into the main wad file.
- Kudos on the napalm rockets - those things own.
pilottobombadier

Wild Weasel, i will take all your points to heart except for those regarding the sounds. I've gone through many, many wads that used those sounds. If I liked them, I would use them. While many of your points are valid, your preference of "realistic" gun sounds and your critiquing of those who choose not to use them in a moderately negative light is more than just annoyance. And I mean that as constructively as possible.

I have other plans for this mod, btw. 4 is pretty much the end of the simple version, but I will be keeping that style of reload animation; that's the way I like it.

Also...wtf with pistol and fist? It works fine on my machine; the DDF's in my Doom directory ar different too. Anyway, I'll rectify that before uploading to 3dgamers.

*edit* - #clearall was there, it might be modified for EDGE 1.29. Although at least i know for when I decide to take Lock and Load to the next level.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

About the fist and pistol, it's probably just a side-effect of my running it in a more recent version. The behavior of Weapons.ddf seems to change depending on not only the version of EDGE running, but also whether or not the DDF file is in a wad or if it's run from a directory.
pilottobombadier

wildweasel wrote:About the fist and pistol, it's probably just a side-effect of my running it in a more recent version. The behavior of Weapons.ddf seems to change depending on not only the version of EDGE running, but also whether or not the DDF file is in a wad or if it's run from a directory.
Oh, I know it. 1.24 was the version that opened my eyes to that. That was hell with lnl 2 and 3 getting them to run with the ddfs in the wad.

Placement's also an issue, but the latest version of ddfinwad loads them into the wadfile where they should be. At least for 1.28.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Personally, I don't even bother with DDFinWAD anymore - if I'm doing something with an EDGE mod, I'll start a new wad file and import all the DDF lumps from EDGE.WAD and then modify them as I see fit through XWE.
wolf00

Post by wolf00 »

some item's in this mod are to big[clip's for pistol].nice small detail's:1:weapon's seem's no ejecting empty bulet's or shell's.
2:i dont realy se empty magazine's droping to the ground.. this twoo is big help for you mod .. anyway nice piece of work ...
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Maybe he just doesn't want to bother with the fancy special effects like shell casings and clips.
wolf00

Post by wolf00 »

hmm i like mod's with detail's ... :wink:

Return to “Doom Armory”