Doom Weapons Mod pet peeves

Here you can chat about the Doom Armory itself, weapon mods, and whatever else that might be related somehow. [Home]

Moderator: wildweasel

lizardcommando

Doom Weapons Mod pet peeves

Post by lizardcommando »

What are some things that annoy you when you play Doom weapons mods?

As for me, There are plenty of things that annoy me whenever I play Doom weapons mods. The first things I'd say are overused sprites, especially that combat shotgun from Immoral Conduct. Overused sounds like the Doom 3 weapons get old really quick. Overpowered weapons (I can't think of any at the moment) that can easily whipe out a cyberdemon and a spidermastermind with one shot are annoying. Ridiculously weak weapons (Again, I can't think of any specific examples) that take forever to kill a zombieman or imp suck too.

I know I'm guilty of doing this, but I hate weapons mods that try to stick in as many guns as humanly possible. It gets really annoying having to navigate through slot 3 full of same ol' shotgun-type weapons. 2 weapons per slot is good, 3 weapons per slot is kinda pushing it. Another thing about having a shitload of weapons that's annoying is that the majority of the guns act practically the same. For example, you'd have slot 1 with 6 different kinds of melee weapons, 3 of them essentially act like the fist and 3 of them essentially act like the chainsaw. Slot 2 has 5 different kinds of pistols, slot 3 has the obligatory shotguns and super-shotguns, slot 4 has a bunch of SMG-type weapons, etc. Again, I'm kinda guilty of doing this, but I at least try to limit the amount of weapons I have in my mod.

I don't like how some mods will tend to go for the cliche weaponlist. You know, Slot 1 is the melee weapons, slot 2 is the peashooter, slot 3 is the shotgun/super-shotgun, ect. Of course, with all the different kinds of weapon mods out there, there isn't much you can really do here.

Having a shitload of enemies aren't so bad as long as you have some cool graphics and some interesting animations to go with it. New sounds wouldn't hurt either.

So all in all, here's the rundown.

Overused sprites
Overused sounds
Overpowered weapons
Really, really weak weapons
Too many weapons in one slot.
Too many weapons that act like the same as each other.
Cliche weapons.

Anyone else have any Doom weapons mod pet peeves?
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

People that just take other peoples' sprites, without even altering the alignments, and claiming it as their own work. Earlier versions of AEOD, 100gunsX, and the other massive weapon mods are especially bad about this. Somebody emailed me an EDGE mod that just took a bunch of guns out of ct-alpha, Don's Challenge, and a few of my mini-mods and just changed the guns to have projectile attacks. Not even a credits text file.

And speaking of massive weapon mods: if a weapon mod opts to put more than two weapons on the same key, then there's a massive problem and some guns just need to be removed.

Weapon mods that also insist on replacing the monsters, particularly ones like OMGWeapons, that place really powerful monsters in place of weaker ones - like rocket launcher zombies in place of zombiemen.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

I'm willing to forgive overused sprites and sounds. I know how hard it is to get decent resources when you lack the capacity to make them (I'm raping Blood 2 right now. Great stuff, but a shitload of work to get it.) It's a lack of creativity that bothers me. A weapon mod will look truly awesome, but underneath the skin it's the same old doom weapons. Slot 3 has a rapid, weak shotgun and a powerful, slow shotgun. Slot 2 has a pistol (sometimes an assault pistol vs. a magnum is thrown in for fun, but still). Slot 7 always has a extravagant superweapon that tries to out-bullshit everyone else's superweapon. One of the reasons I love Strife so is that they altered the power balance between the weapons. They failed, but it was something.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

wildweasel wrote:People that just take other peoples' sprites, without even altering the alignments, and claiming it as their own work. Earlier versions of AEOD, 100gunsX, and the other massive weapon mods are especially bad about this. Somebody emailed me an EDGE mod that just took a bunch of guns out of ct-alpha, Don's Challenge, and a few of my mini-mods and just changed the guns to have projectile attacks. Not even a credits text file.

And speaking of massive weapon mods: if a weapon mod opts to put more than two weapons on the same key, then there's a massive problem and some guns just need to be removed.

Weapon mods that also insist on replacing the monsters, particularly ones like OMGWeapons, that place really powerful monsters in place of weaker ones - like rocket launcher zombies in place of zombiemen.
Ergh, if they had to use something from me, the least they could of done was shown me it :/
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

The fact that they mess up the balance of the game, whilst trying to claim that they don't change it at all.

I don't care where the sprites come from, or how much they've been used before... same for sounds... but when it's meant to not change a thing, but either makes it really hard, or worse, really easy, I'm never impressed.

The least that could be done is to make levels for the weapons to be played on which actually suit the weapons.
Visplane_Overflow

Post by Visplane_Overflow »

Phobus wrote:The least that could be done is to make levels for the weapons to be played on which actually suit the weapons.
Or you could recommend maps that work well with the mod, that the player can download.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Hmm... yeah, that's a minimum, but of course, most people seem to think anything will do, when that's clearly not true.
Paul

Post by Paul »

What I hate in Weapon mods?
  • Centered weapons mixed with angled ones
  • Weapons with different gloves (seriously, this is glitchy)
  • Overused sprites (especially duke 3d resources)
  • Overused sounds! (especially Hexen resources!)
  • Weapons that have alt fire when some other weapons don't have it (lacks consistency)
  • errors (such as angled weapons being cut-off while moving and swaying the gun)
  • Too much eggs in the basket syndrome (Hi Neodoom)
  • Weapons with glitches (hands too small, dirtyness, jaginess, etc)
  • Weapons of questionable usability.. (you need a fast smg for stunning eneimes, shotgun or flak gun for close range combat, something for groups of enemies, something for sniping etc. Not an accurate, powerful and super fast rifle with 5 identical to each other shotguns)
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Paul wrote:What I hate in Weapon mods?
  • Weapons of questionable usability.. (you need a fast smg for stunning eneimes, shotgun or flak gun for close range combat, something for groups of enemies, something for sniping etc. Not an accurate, powerful and super fast rifle with 5 identical to each other shotguns)
What? You mean like in that huge crapwad that was released a while back? I think it was the Armas guy's attempt at DECORATE weapons. Anyway, it had about eight shotguns on slot 3 (Hey! Look! A streetsweeper AND and assault shotgun!) along with a rifle that just pwned the hell out of everything else.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Paul wrote:What I hate in Weapon mods?
  • Centered weapons mixed with angled ones
Hmm, I dunno... I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. Some guns just don't look good centered and some guns just don't look good angled.
Paul

Post by Paul »

@commando - In my opinion there's a lack of consistency when angled are mixed with centered ones. All centered or all angled. At least in my opinion.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

You can really sum this whole thread up like this:
"We hate mods made by lazy idiots who can't comprehend game balance."
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

I don't like weapon overload, mostly in mods like zdguns. Do we really need at least 10 different rocket launchers, at least 5 different shotguns, and 3 different forms of the same pistol (.20 pistol). It just makes it very confusing and hard to find what weapon you need. It's feels like the WRW is a weapon mod sometimes.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

It also raises the question, "Where does doomguy keep all those guns?"
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

This reminds me of a post by Doomguy0505...
"And why does the doomguy run like a car?"

And as a answer, there was a...
"Advanced bio-mechanics and robotic inner motors." Or something like that. LOL Actually, almost EVERY old game has a b**** load of weapons, and the main character can pick every single weapon up and carry it. The most weirdest were Johanna from Perfect Dark and James Bond from Goldeneye 007, there was an inventory, with almost 30 weapons, carried by the player. But hey, it's a game. :wink:

Return to “Doom Armory”