Doom Weapons Mod pet peeves

Here you can chat about the Doom Armory itself, weapon mods, and whatever else that might be related somehow. [Home]

Moderator: wildweasel

InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

KeksDose wrote:Actually, almost EVERY old game has a b**** load of weapons, and the main character can pick every single weapon up and carry it.
Actually, it's not only older games. Think of Serious Sam 2's Serious Bomb and Doom 3's large arsenal and ammo limits. I guess there will be bags of holding in the future [/rpgmode]
Betanol

Post by Betanol »

KeksDose wrote:...and James Bond from Goldeneye 007, there was an inventory, with almost 30 weapons, carried by the player.
Yeah, and also is good to remember that he reloads all his 30 weapons, including a bazooka, ak-47, pistols, smg's in the same way and same time!
(that is about 1.5 seconds!)
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

Yeah, that was pretty cool. Sniper rifles, ARs, rocket launchers, pistols etc everything in just one second. It was actually pretty funny to bomb enemies with 2-3 rockets in five seconds. In Perfect Dark you need five seconds to fire one rocket. Maybe James Bond had the magic hands of reloading [RPGMode=Off].

[Edit]
It would be really cool if someone makes a Weapon Mod with Goldeneye weapons, and this reloading technique, now that would be cool. Same with Perfect Dark. =D
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

Deathsong12 wrote:It also raises the question, "Where does doomguy keep all those guns?"
Hammerspace. :P
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Something that annoys me is how useless the melee weapon turns out to be in most mods. It needs SOMETHING to compensate for its lack of range, be it power, speed boost, or just plain explosive invulnerability (o_o?)
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

Here's one for the ages: Stacking 2 weapons per slot each on 1-7 and having empty slots on 8-10! Doggonit, if you have the chance to not stack something, please, for the love of everything awesome, TAKE IT! :P

Oh, and a note to all ZDoom modders: Remember that ZDoom doesn't remember which weapon was last selected on a given slot.

So remember,

*NEVER*
stack a weaker weapon
In FrOnT oF
a
more Powerful one!

*ahem*, sorry if that was too rant-y... I'm not gonna hunt anybody down or hire a hitman for this one (not yet, anyway :P), but in all fairness this thread is quite fierce as it is, hehe....
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

Xaser wrote: *NEVER*
stack a weaker weapon
In FrOnT oF
a
more Powerful one!
ZOMG + Post 101 :happy:

Well, something that personally annoys me: Having the weapons in ANY slot. THIS annoys me. Let's say you have 9 weapons. A pistol, a shotgun, a double barreled shotgun, a machine gun, a chain gun, a rocket launcher, a Plasma gun, a BFG and your basic melee(fist). And here are the slots:

Code: Select all

Slot 1 Plasma Gun
Slot 2 Rocket Launcher
Slot 3 Chain gun
Slot 4 BFG
Slot 5 Pistol
Slot 6 Nothing
Slot 7 Shotgun
Slot 8 Machine Gun
Slot 9 Fist
Slot 10(0) Double Barreled Shotgun
This is REALLY annoying, who could recognize THAT? The weakest weapons should be in the first slots, and the stronger in the last slots.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

An old pet peeve of mine was reloading not working correctly. However, in the development builds this seems to be correctable with +IGNORESKILL! Now we can finally end that stupid reloading bug!
BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

I have many pet peeves, but that's too many to list. Here are my top 5 (as of writing):

1) Overpowered Common Weapons
It's a bit much to have a chaingun capable of downing Barons Of Hell in seconds at a cost of little ammo. Especially when said ammo is invariably common. Utterly stupid and just shows how crap the mod's creator is at Doom.

2) Crap Starting Equipment
I'm good at Doom, but not THAT good. I can easily handle weak weapons, I can't handle weak weapons incapable of downing basic monsters.

3) Badly Modified Pickups
Ammo conservation is one of my strong areas, so imagine my surprise when I was recieving less ammo than I was using. FROM ZOMBIEMEN!

4) Shitty Sprite Work
Nobody wants to use godawfully ugly weapons that can cause blindness, no matter how useful the weapon itself is.

5) Unimaginitive Weapons
I've seen countless rapid-fire BFG's. I've seen countless dual-chainguns (which belong in the above category too at that). For the love of all things sane, I wish crap weapons would disappear.
Mortarion

Post by Mortarion »

Well...
Automatic shotguns, riot shotguns, (basically any shotgun weapon thats pretty strong)
should they really be in the "3" slot just because they're shotguns?

and Another thing, I f a weapon is going to be ridiculously over powered, let the ammo be sparse and the fight to get it be hard, thats what I say, for instance, the three most powerful weapons in deathdealer:

"retribution"- (issue- can render the player invulnerable) only given after killering the first big boss
"torture"- (issue- can butcher almost anything, gives its own ammo when left idle) only given after the second boss demon
The plasma cannon- (issue- massively powerful)- 3 shot clip, long reload, F****all ammo for it, and the end boss is so horrendously powerful you need all three weapons to kill it.

now, is that a good way to rebalance weapons?(or could custom damage types save the day?)

problem with weapon mods 2 - the duke shotgun with doomguy hands
-overused
-often under/overpowered
-looks like crap if not used/edited well

problem 3 - changing hands
-weird
-out of place
-I'm guilty of it (forsaken)
-doom did it (the fist, you'd think Id would leave it in the other hands to, I mean He cant drop the brass knuckles can he?)

sorry for the long rant, I'm at school and bored as hell...
It's Arma-goddamn-M*****ing-geddon.
Woolie Wool

Post by Woolie Wool »

For some reason, I can't stand Kalashnikovs like AK-47s, RPKs (sorry Wildweasel), etc. They're incredibly ugly and every "tactical" mod or FPS game seems to have at least one.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Woolie Wool wrote:For some reason, I can't stand Kalashnikovs like AK-47s, RPKs (sorry Wildweasel), etc.
That's alright, I'll bear that in mind for later.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

wildweasel wrote:That's alright, I'll bear that in mind for later.
You didn't say which way you would bear it in mind though. Are we going to see WW-KalashnikovKollection.WAD any time soon? :lol:
The_Funktasm

Post by The_Funktasm »

Woolie Wool wrote:For some reason, I can't stand Kalashnikovs like AK-47s, RPKs (sorry Wildweasel), etc. They're incredibly ugly and every "tactical" mod or FPS game seems to have at least one.
That's funny, I think of the M16/M4 the same way.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

The_Funktasm wrote:
Woolie Wool wrote:For some reason, I can't stand Kalashnikovs like AK-47s, RPKs (sorry Wildweasel), etc. They're incredibly ugly and every "tactical" mod or FPS game seems to have at least one.
That's funny, I think of the M16/M4 the same way.
Well, both ends of the spectrum - the AR variants and the AK variants both - are rather grating on my nerves as of late; they're still used in "modern" tactical games despite the fact that superior alternatives have already been developed even as early as the late 90's. We've got stuff like the G36, the F2000, the SCAR, the Kriss Super V...so why are so-called special forces units in games like Call of Duty 4 still equipped by default with aging M4A1's? I mean, the SAS missions sometimes started you off with a G36C with reflex sights, but I hate most of the AR variants.

Return to “Doom Armory”