My first weapon mod !

Here you can chat about the Doom Armory itself, weapon mods, and whatever else that might be related somehow. [Home]

Moderator: wildweasel

Lioyd_Irving

My first weapon mod !

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

HELL-o ! Today is a great day - for me - because I released my not-awaited weapon mod ! It's here !

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/6673e653ef_0.88MB

(You'll also need to scroll down a bit.)

Have fun !

EDIT : v1.1 is done, scroll down please !
Last edited by Lioyd_Irving on Tue Mar 04, 2008 21:56, edited 1 time in total.
Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson and Adolf Hitler all drank water. You criminal scum !
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

This is actually quite good for your first mod (this...is your first, isn't it?). That said, I do have some suggestions for ways it can be improved.

- The way you've coded this is a little outdated by todays standards. I notice that you're using FSGLOBAL, which will tend to break on maps that use extensive scripting (as well as in multiplayer mode). I'd suggest using a custom player class that inherits from DoomPlayer, with the sole changes being the Player.StartItem entries. This will also solve the problem of the player not starting with a weapon selected.
- You're using the DoomEdNums to replace your weapons...while this will work on most vanilla maps, it won't work on maps that use heavy scripting to spawn weapons and monsters, and you might find yourself killing shotgunners that still drop the Doom shotgun instead of your custom one. I'd suggest replacing the numbers with "replaces <weapon>" - this way they'll still spawn in the correct places, and if a map decides to spawn one, it'll spawn your weapon instead of the Doom weapon.
- The Colt pistol is more powerful than the later-obtained Lucky assault rifle. The Lucky isn't very useful as a result.
- The minigun is actually very creative, dare I say it...I like the railgun alternate fire.
- The alternate fire on the grenade launcher is just awesome - extra fire rate at the expense of making the weapon very unreliable for accurate hits. Great for crowds.
- The experimental plasma pistol could use just one more thing to give it that powerful feeling - use A_SetBlend to flash the screen and have it fade smoothly out. That'll finish off the "Noisy Cricket" feeling it has. I felt like Will Smith in Men In Black the first time I fired that thing. Thank goodness there was a zombie there to break my fall, else I would have launched myself off the map.
- I thought the slime-gun (slot 7) was too difficult to use effectively. If you want my opinion, I say increase the projectile speed and give it just a little bit of gravity.
Lioyd_Irving

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

Thank you for your feedback ! I've read your post
but I hadn't enough time to reply the first time. I'm now working on the 1.1.
wildweasel wrote:this...is your first, isn't it?
Copy. Paste. Analyze. Learn. Remix. Improve. Debug. Repeat.
wildweasel wrote:- The way you've coded this is a little outdated by todays standards. I notice that you're using FSGLOBAL, which will tend to break on maps that use extensive scripting (as well as in multiplayer mode). I'd suggest using a custom player class that inherits from DoomPlayer, with the sole changes being the Player.StartItem entries. This will also solve the problem of the player not starting with a weapon selected.
I tried, but I just can't figure out how to make the game choose my class instead of the DoomPlayer.
wildweasel wrote:- You're using the DoomEdNums to replace your weapons...while this will work on most vanilla maps, it won't work on maps that use heavy scripting to spawn weapons and monsters, and you might find yourself killing shotgunners that still drop the Doom shotgun instead of your custom one.
I've already removed them(though the "replaces <thingy>" was already in use...).
wildweasel wrote:- The Colt pistol is more powerful than the later-obtained Lucky assault rifle. The Lucky isn't very useful as a result.
Done ! Lowered the power of the Colt, raised the power of the AR.
wildweasel wrote:- The minigun is actually very creative, dare I say it...I like the railgun alternate fire.
- The alternate fire on the grenade launcher is just awesome - extra fire rate at the expense of making the weapon very unreliable for accurate hits. Great for crowds.
Thank you !
wildweasel wrote:- The experimental plasma pistol could use just one more thing to give it that powerful feeling - use A_SetBlend to flash the screen and have it fade smoothly out. That'll finish off the "Noisy Cricket" feeling it has. I felt like Will Smith in Men In Black the first time I fired that thing. Thank goodness there was a zombie there to break my fall, else I would have launched myself off the map.
Initially, I wanted to give it even more recoil...Thanks for the tip anyway, it's done.
wildweasel wrote:- I thought the slime-gun (slot 7) was too difficult to use effectively. If you want my opinion, I say increase the projectile speed and give it just a little bit of gravity.
Tried. But the "Mass" property doesn't support decimals. Still, I increased the speed of the projectiles.
Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson and Adolf Hitler all drank water. You criminal scum !
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Lioyd_Irving wrote:I tried, but I just can't figure out how to make the game choose my class instead of the DoomPlayer.
Use Keyconf like so:

Code: Select all

clearplayerclasses
addplayerclass LioydPlayer
and your new player class will be what Doom picks.
Tried. But the "Mass" property doesn't support decimals. Still, I increased the speed of the projectiles.
Mass doesn't affect the gravity, though - it only affects how far back the item is pushed when something hits it. You want to use Gravity on the projectile, in its actor properties:

Code: Select all

Gravity 0.2
Lioyd_Irving

Post by Lioyd_Irving »

V1.1 is done !

http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/73b71712d0_1.14MB

Everything you wanted is there (plus a few extras).

Return to “Doom Armory”