[RES][GC] Shield Gun for EDGE 1.29

Do you have a question about making weapon mods, or do you just need some tutorials and resources? Ask about all of that here.

Moderator: wildweasel

Snarboo

[RES][GC] Shield Gun for EDGE 1.29

Post by Snarboo »

Alrighty, after coming up with a crazy idea this morning to create a shield gun like that in UT2k3(and 4), here it is, the fruits of my labor. This is mostly a proof of concept type mod, and I really wish I had custom graphics to go with this, but the plasma rifle did fine in a pinch with a few modifications. The primary fire of this weapon acts kind of like a short range plasma gun, and it behaves like the Sonic Disruptor(or whatever it was called) from Closer_X By Xaser. The secondary fire is where things get interesting: with a little bit of DDF trickery, I was able to create a functioning shield! It works best against projectiles, such as fireballs, and bullet based weapons, although some bullets might get through.

Now for the caveats: this weapon does not seem to block Lost Souls thrusting attack, and monsters can easily walk through your shield since it isn't solid and attack you. Cyberdemon rockets still pretty much kill you on contact, since I assume the explosion goes through the shield. Arch Vile flame attacks aren't blocked by the shield either, but I think that goes without saying. ;) I've also tinkered around with EDGE 1.29's new GHOST feature, and I've made it so that Arachnotron plasma balls go through the shield. If this bothers you, you can easily change the DDF.

I would love to write a tutorial about this, but it's very complex and requires a lot of work to get working. If I get the chance I might, but for now, I've included the code for this and have commented it out as best I can so you know what I was doing. :) I might upload this to Newstuff, but it depends on how well this is recieved and whether or not I can find better custom graphics. With a little work, this shielding method could be used to create weapons such as a sword that allows you to block with the secondary attack.

WHAT'S INCLUDED: DDF Code, Text File, .WAD file with the mod

REQUIRES: Full version of the Ultimate Doom or Doom 2, EDGE 1.29 RC#2

Credits are listed in the text file, which I would like you to read. That's it for now!
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Definatly going in my next mod snarb.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Help snarboo! Whenever I fire my gun (primary or secondary), the gun dissappears when the mode is shot! Can you fix it for me? It's here.

Fixed

Return to “Weapon Modding Help & Resources”