Ripping sounds from Call of Duty 4

Do you have a question about making weapon mods, or do you just need some tutorials and resources? Ask about all of that here.

Moderator: wildweasel

DoomGuy II

Ripping sounds from Call of Duty 4

Post by DoomGuy II »

This is for my weapons that I am making for my project.

Basically, I've been trying to rip some reload sounds from COD4 itself, but it seemed impossible. I've searched archive after archive and they're not even listed in either one. I did get the COD4 Mod Tools and it did have the rest of the sounds, but it didn't have the reload sounds either. What else can I do?
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

It's kind of tricky - I don't have a copy ready, but I remember experimenting with the demo and only getting some fire sounds. All I can remember from the COD2 days is that the .IWD files are just plain archive files that 7-Zip can open easily. But something tells me that Infinity Ward was messing with "alternate" sound formats, like Ubisoft and their Rainbow Six games, so if you know a little about how to work your preferred sound editor program, I'd try opening random files from the .IWD archive and loading them into your sound editor as raw data and seeing if that will work. Quick warning, though, if you guess the wrong format for them, be prepared to mute your speakers VERY quickly =P
DoomGuy II

Post by DoomGuy II »

Just figured it out!

Apparently, the rest of the sound files were stored in files called Fast Files (.ff), which are very well compressed and encrypted and not accessible by any archive programs according to the critics. So, you'll need a Hex Editor to do this. Here's what you do.

1. Download the two following programs.

- HxD Hex Editor (preferably)
- SimpleZip

2. Using your Hex Editor, open up common.ff, which is located in the zones folder in the COD4 directory and delete the first 12 bytes and save the file as common.zlib. Close your Hex Editor before proceeding.

3. Open up SimpleZip, go to the External progs menu, and click on ZLib (pack/unpack). Under (de)compress, select Decompress and click the "..." button to browse for the common.zlib file and select it. Then, click Start to begin decompression.

4. Now, suppose you want a clip in sound of the AK-47. To do so, open up Hex Editor again, open up the decompressed "common" file, and search for a filename called foley/wpfoly_ak47_reload_clipin_v4.wav.

5. Once found, start AFTER the filename and select the whole block until you get BEFORE the following code:

Code: Select all

ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ....weap_ak47_clipout_plr
Usually, it should be a set of weird coded Y's and then the last 4 bytes should be periods. That's where you want to stop at, but don't select over them.

Then, copy what you have and paste it in a new hex file. Then, save the new hex file as "akclipin" or however you like it.

6. Using an audio editor (Audacity preferably), import the "akclipin" file as RAW data, and you should be able to get the actual clip in sound of the AK47. And finally as usual, just export it as wav and you're done.

If you run into any problems, let me know via this topic or my email (doomguyii@yahoo.com) and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Return to “Weapon Modding Help & Resources”